different or unusual in Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting Vancouver in late July for one week. I try to see or do things that aren't common ordinary tourist type attractions. I will be travelling with some one in a wheelchair so it must be able to accomodate this person also. I will have a car so it does not have to be right in the city. All replies are very much appreciated.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Go to the Richmond Night Market - it's held on every weekend (Friday and Saturday, 7pm until midnight, and then Sundays from 7pm until 11pm). It's very accessible by car - maybe a 25 minute drive from downtown, tops. Hundreds of kiosks of Asian food and boutiques.
www.richmondnightmarket.com

Also, I was going to recommend the Vancouver Police Centennial Museum, however, they're located in a very old building that has a flight of stairs to climb, which isn't wheelchair accessible. However, they do have Sins of the City walking tours that they do every Tuesday and Saturday. You have to reserve a spot in advance, but it takes several hours and takes you through Chinatown and Gastown, where they tell you all about Vancouver's dark secrets (ie: brothels, saloons, gambling, opium dens, etc). You generally end the tour in Vancouver's first jail. It's definitely worth doing if you're looking for the uncommon tourist attractions.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Little India-49th & Main-combined with a visit to the Riley Park Farmers Market Wed afternoon @ nearby Nat Bailey Stadium.
http://www.eatlocal.org/
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies, they are very much appreciated.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 05:47 PM

We had the riley park markets recommended to us as well, whats it like there in winter though ?
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 06:03 AM

How much would a cab ride be from Burrard Street to the Richmond Night Market? We'll be staying at the Hyatt on Burrard and decided not to rent a car in Vancouver, will it be costly to get to Chinatown in Richmond? Thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 06:53 AM

&quot;<i>whats it like there in winter though</i>&quot;
Closed.

&quot;<i>How much would a cab ride be from Burrard Street to the Richmond Night Market?</i>&quot;
Probably $C50 each way-double a car rental.
Note that the Night Market is in another part of the suburb of Richmond-a part poorly served by transit.

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Oops!
Should have said $C50 round trip-close to a mid-sized rental.
Parking is something of a challenge in the area so if your heart is set on a visit then maybe a cab is the way to go.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:05 PM

any suggestions for winter ? Or do all the markets shut down ?
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 04:28 PM

The Richmond Night Market is only open from Victoria Day to about Labour Day.
If you are staying in downtown Vancouver, the walk along Coal Harbour from Canada Place to Stanley Park is wonderful, lots of public art there and of course it is right on the water, with coffee shops and cafes nearby.
Also, although Granville Island is popular with tourists, it is also full of locals too. You can walk to false creek from downtown, and take one of the little ferries over to Granville Island. At least some of the ferries are wheelchair accessible, and they go every few minutes. I live here and go to Granville Island regularly, never tire of it!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 02:34 PM

ttt