Day hike in Jasper

Old Jun 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day hike in Jasper

Will spend a full day in Jasper in early July. The next day will drive to Calgary (reach airport by midnight and fly out the next day).

Would like to do some day hikes. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 05:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My favorite hike in the Jasper area. http://hikejasper.com/Hiking-Maligne...in-Jasper.html
Also see Maligne lake as well.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 07:41 AM

Here is a suggestion for one day in Jasper. It is what we did. I think it made for a fun day.

Stop at Bear Paws or Other Paw and pick up sandwiches and cookies for lunch.

Drive Maligne Lake Rd to the fourth or fifth bridge, park there and walk Maligne Canyon--I think this is a beautiful walk and much prefer it to Johnston Canyon in Banff

Continue down Maligne Lake Rd to the Maligne Lake--have a picnic lunch, walk the shoreline--many visitors enjoy the baot trip to Spirit Island. We didn't do this but you may want to consider that.

Drive back and head up Mt Edith Cavell to Angel Glacier. Walk the Path of the Glacier--and part of the Meadows Trail if you have time.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. How difficult are these trails? How long? Thanks again
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 05:57 AM

Another vote for Maligne Canyon - just gorgeous and fascinating. Hike up from the bridge 5 parking lot.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 08:44 AM

Maligne Canyon - basically as long as you can walk unaided you can do this. I have arthritis in both knees and hips and a foot problem. For ME it was challenging and I was tired and more than a bit sore when I was done BUT I am glad that I did it. For someone younger and healthier it would be a piece of cake. You can also do a shortened version - drive to the parking lot at the Teahouse and just walk down as far as 3rd bridge but really the best is to walk up from the 5th bridge parking lot.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 09:43 PM

Maligne Canyon is a very busy place in July.

Day hikes I'd recommend close to town are Old Fort Point or Valley of the Five Lakes. These are both montane (valley bottom) hikes with limited elevation gain, but with good views of surrounding mountains.

For subalpine hiking, I'd recommend Cavell Meadows (if open - the trail doesn't usually open until sometime the first week of July, and this past winter, there was a lot more snow than usual), Wilcox Pass (at the Columbia Icefields, one hour drive from town) or Opal Hills at Maligne Lake. All of these are about 8 km (5 miles), with about 1200 - 1400 feet of elevation gain (approx. 400 metres).

I live in Jasper and am an avid hiker. If these don't suit you, I would be happy to suggest others if you can give more details about how far you want to go or how much elevation gain you want.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to check the weather and trail condition before going out.

In those trail, how much time will it take for 1 km on average?

Thanks
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM

My GPS tells me that my "moving average" is between 4 and 4.5 km per hour. The "overall average" (time including stops) is lower, around 3 or 3.5 km per hour. (But it depends where you go - I do a lot more stopping and gawking at the view during the subalpine hikes I listed.) I would allow 3'ish hours for the subalpine hikes I mentioned, plus driving time. I am a reasonably fit, but slightly overweight, woman in my early fifties, btw.