Hike/Trail recommendations in Banff?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to Banff in early September. We'll have five full days in Banff and want to spend at least a couple of them hiking. What are some beginner-intermediate day hikes/trails that we shouldn't miss?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 15th, 2013, 04:52 AM

By all means, be sure to do the Johnson Canyon hike. You can just do the Lower Falls, or continue on to the Upper Falls. It is very popular though, so if you get there in the morning early it won't be so crowded.

For a spectacular view of the Banff townsite and the Banff Springs Hotel, we enjoy the Tunnel Mountain trail.

Both of those are pretty easy. For some more ideas and good descriptions, here are a couple of links for you:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/a...ing/banff.aspx

http://www.banffnationalpark.com/art...in-detail.html
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:08 AM

I agree with the Johnson Canyon hike- we went all the way to the paint pots. It is VERY crowded but don't let it put you off.

Not at Banff. but Lake Louise which is close- hike to the teahouse at Lake Louise - its uphill so not easy but worth it when you get to the top. It also is pretty crowded but we loved the experience.
Old May 16th, 2013, 02:27 PM

You must do the Plain of Six Glaciers starting at Lake Louise. My husband are I hiked this trail then came down the Lake Agnes trail back to Lake Louise. I suggest doing a smaller hike/walk in the area the day before just to get use to the altitude. We are from Boston and the first day my legs felt like bricks. This hike is not easy but not so hard that you can't do it as long as you take your time. It was nice getting soup and tea at the Tea house on the top. If this is your first time in the Canadian Rockies as it was ours this trail will keep you coming back!
Old May 28th, 2013, 08:10 PM

In Banff try Lake Minnewanka. You might find the hike up to Aylmer Pass Lookout interesting.
For some shorter hikes - in order of likes: Bow Falls and The Hoodoos, Johnston Canyon, Tunnel Mountain.

I agree with going for Lake Louise instead though.
If the hike up to Lake Agnes (Tea House) is not enough for you - or you want to leave the crowd, there are more easy/intermediate trails to take from there to an even higher altitude to enjoy a better view.
Hike up to the Little Beehive, Big Beehive, Devil's Thumb - might be a little challenging.
Climb up to Mt. St. Piran or to Fairview Mountain. Both these mountains involve easy to very little scrambling.

You are going during the late berry season, and because of this some trails might be closed due to more frequent bear activity.
If you choose to go with the less traveled trails, talk, sing, yodel, and let the bears or other wildlife know you're around. They are normally more afraid of you than you are of them anyway, just don't take them by surprise.

Enjoy your trip
http://hikecampandtravel.com/canada.php?page=alberta
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the recs! We are just a few weeks out and getting really excited. Biggest dilemma now is if we should spend some time in Jasper instead of home basing in Canmore the entire time.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 05:57 PM

We love hiking the Canadian Rockies. I would spend at least 2 nights in Jasper. Here is an old report I wrote. Maybe it will help you as you plan your visit.

http://www.fodors.com/community/cana...-report.cfm?27
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 03:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
In addition to Johnston Canyon and Tunnel Mtn mentioned above.

I was going to suggest moving a day or so to Jasper.

This isn't a hike but you may want to consider some time at the Icefield Center. Maybe one of the tours.

Also, just south of Jasper on the Cavell Road. A short (can be made somewhat longer) are two hikes. Spectacular Path of the Glacier trail. You can add onto that very short hike Cavell Meadows trail.

If it's hiking you want some of these are very short. However, if it's scenery you want these are very appropriate.

Also, the short hike to Peyto Lake starting at Bow Summit. This can also be extended to get away from some of the crowds.

Most of the above are "consumer hikes". That is they are very well prepared trails. Even paved mostly. They are intended for the masses and not hard-core hikers.

But scenery!!!!