Chateau Lake Louise

Jun 9th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Chateau Lake Louise

I'd appreciate hearing from peope who've stayed at this Fairmont in the last year or so. My sense from reading Trip Advisor is that folks who were in the "upper" level rooms-- suites, deluxe, etc-- liked the place very much, but that people who booked "regular" lakeside rooms found the accommodations cramped and outdated. Am hoping to get feedback from Fodor's folks, especially which room numbers (or sections) to request or avoid. Thanks very much.
Jun 9th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Sorry that I do not remember the room number . I think that we were at 6th floor. The room was OK. The restaurants are great and all the lobby is very nice.
What make the Chateau special is the lake view. At the reception they asked us if we want an early wake up call, at sunrise. They said that we shall like it. We did this and this is the best view we ever had in our life. The view early in the morning is incredible. It is completly different from what you see during the day. The light and shadows change every moment, the reflection of the mountains in the lake is perfect, and change the color all the time.
We took a lot of pictures, and there are not two indentical.
At this very early hour (I think before 5 o'clock), we saw a lot of people walking near the lake, with jackets (it was cold at this hour). While we stayed in pijamas and return to our bed when the sun was up and the image did not changed yet.

By the way, we were there with a Tauck tour. Tauck has all the time a lot of tours there and they book many good rooms for all the season.
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:45 AM
amaclise

There is a lovely small hotel just down the street from Chateau Lake Louise which we liked very much. I can't remember the name of it (!) but it was very close to the Chateau - less than 1/4 mile. Maybe someone will remember the name and post it here or the folks at the Chateau might be able to tell you the name.

It was August and I remember lots of flowers, a lovely outdoor restaurant, a comfy lobby, and a hot tub on the roof! We could enjoy the Chateau and the lake but in more reasonable accomodations.

Jun 11th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Amaclise, the hotel to which you are referring is Deer Lodge.
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replies-- and still hoping to hear specifics about room choice at the Fairmont.
Jul 11th, 2006, 07:48 PM

Hi poss,

For what it's worth, when my wife and I were looking into Fairmont vs. an overrated hotel whose name shall remain The Post, we were told to absolutely positively avoid any rooms (in the Fairmont) over the main kitchen as they smelled of cooking grease.
Jul 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Paul-- that's exactly the kind of specific info I'm always hoping for on these forums. Still hoping to hear abt specific room number or areas to request-- and whether the "non-deluxe" lakeside is very cramped.
Jul 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Hi poss -

We stayed at the Chateau over the July long weekend. We were on the 8th floor - not facing the lake. The room was well appointed - king size bed, plasma TV, marble bathroom. I'm not sure if it was deluxe or not as my husband booked the room. Our room was facing the ski hill overlooking the main entrance. The higher floor was nice because of the great mountain views and reduced outside noise reaching our room.