car in halifax?

Oct 1st, 2007, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

car in halifax?

We are spending just 3 days/2 nights in Halifax to tour Dalhousie University...I have emailed our likely hotel to ask about transportation from the airport to downtown Halifax...can we do this w/o a car? What are our transportation options?
Oct 1st, 2007, 04:22 PM
wow

When are you doing your Dal tour? Probably soon if you already have your hotel booked. Your options are the usual: taxi, limo, shuttle, rental car from the airport. There may also be a Hotel shuttle to/from your own hotel. If you Google "Halifax Airport transportation" you will get all the info you need...& more!
Depending on the time of year, I may be inclined to rent a car.( would not want to drive in the winter but that's just me. You may be ok w/ that). Also, if your hotel is w/in walking distance of Dal you won't need a car at all once you get to Halifax. Just cab it around Halifax. Unless you want to do a "day trip" outside of Halifax ( w/ 3 days you will have lots of time) in which case, you will likely want to have the flexibility of having a car. So, depends on time of year, how far your hotel is from Dal & what else you want to do when you are in Hfx besides tour Dal.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info; the Dal tour is early Nov. so my son can be on campus when students are there; he did a tour this summer b/4 the semester began. The hotel is about 1 mile from Dal...we arrive on a Sunday afternoon and leave Tuesday afternoon so I don't expect time for day trips...I have lots left to do in Halifax, like museums and churches which will make my son happy if I do them when he's on campus.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:30 AM

Which hotel are you staying at? The Westin does have a free shuttle service and I am not sure if "Fred" the transit bus runs in November or not. Fred is free to tourist to hop on and off from various hotels and points of interest around the city.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:24 AM
LJ

If your hotel is not already "firm", the Lord Nelson is right at South Park and Spring Garden Road, just at the edge of the campus. A mile away is a long way in a town built on hills so you might want to be closer. Recently refurbished and capturing some old-fashioned Canadian hotelier charm, it is having some great deals. I know because I just booked my boss and me in there for a business trip in November for less than $120 per night!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
wow

Lord Nelson wld be perfect! Very close to Dal. And, it's a lovely walk.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM

I find public transit quite decent within the Halifax Regional Municipality, unusually extensive for a North American city this size. I've visited the city twice with no car, availing myself of the buses to get from the Commons Area to Point Pleasant Park, ferry and bus to Dartmouth and Eastern Passage, Spring Garden Road, etc... With a toonie ($2) and asking the driver for a transfer, it was pretty straightforward to negotiate the system with bus stops indicating the number of the line. Schedules and map routes are not a bad idea and can be found at:

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/

Can't comment about the airport as I arrived by rail!

Have fun! DAN
Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the help...we looked at the Lord Nelson and it is lovely but we were able to get a better rate at the Sheraton 4 Pts...they have a shuttle from the airport AND we're Starwood members...I think we'll have to follow Dan's advice and use the bus. If son decides on university there, we'll be getting to know the city well! Maybe I'll be able to do a Lord Nelson stay in the future; I'll check it out in person on this trip.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:04 AM

You are only a few blocks away from the Lord Nelson at the 4 Points Sheraton. Easy walking distance to Dal - the bus would literally take you about 2 minutes (without all of the lights). It is a lovely walk, up Spring Garden Road, pass the Public Gardens and into the heart of the University.

There is a bus shuttle that runs from most of the hotels to the airport. I believe it is reasonable and there is always a taxi on hand.

From the 4 Pts hopefully you will have a water view of the harbour.

We usually opt for the Cambridge Suites. Like the option of having separate bedroom. Again, close to Spring Garden and about a block from where you are staying.