Search

3.5 days in Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.5 days in Nova Scotia

Hello,

My wife and I will arrive in Halifax airport this Friday, July 1, at 10 pm. Leaving from Halifax on Tuesday at 4:45 pm. So we will have 3,5 days in Nova Scotia.
What will be the best itinerary for these days? We want to drive around, hike, see nature, picturesque towns... may be some kayaking, maybe some whale watching but it is not a must.
From reading other posts I understood that we can go either north to Cape Breton or south but I have nothing on which to base the decision. What would be the ideal itinerary for each direction?

Does it make sense to drive from the airport to Halifax? By the time we get a car it will already be 11 pm. Is Halifax itself is worth visiting?

Also, are there any special considerations for 4 of July weekend? Should I expect any problems finding accomodation?

Thank you
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:53 AM

You will be arriving on our national holiday July 1st (Canada Day). My recommendation would be to stay in Halifax the night you arrive as there is literally nothing at the airport. You could spend the next day exploring the city (which will be Saturday). Check out the farmer's markets on the waterfront, explore Citadel Hill, walk Spring Garden Road (lots to do on a Saturday, if not just people watch). Live music (if you like Zydeco) at Father's Mustouche on Spring Garden Road from around 4-7. The next day I would head towards Peggy's Cove, Chester, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg. You could spend the night in this area. Last day, cross over to the Valley (Wolfville area). Grand Pre, Halls Harbour (grab a lobster dinner on the wharf), etc. That gives you a day either way to spend a 2nd overnight.

In Halifax, stay downtown. The hotels are pricier, but you can basically walk to everything. My preference for location is either Cambridge Suites, Sheraton 4-points. If you go to Wolfville, I love the Blomidon Inn although some rooms will be small. They have an excellent on-site restaurant.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:55 AM

I forgot to add, you can experience the "tides" at Halls Harbour.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 05:17 AM

For such a short visit I concur with Tanya.

To add to her suggestion, there is a shuttle service from Halifax airport to downtown which costs $19.50CAD each and departures from airport are on the hour; i.e., 1100 PM and last one at midnight. Taxis cost approximately $55.00CAD. You could also rent a car but I'm wondering if at that late hour (airport is approximately 26 miles from city centre) if it would be better to pick up car in downtown Halifax. Halifax is an interesting historic city, and yes, I would make reservations during the peak tourist season.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 06:15 AM

If you do rent a car and want to catch a one-of-akind event you should participate in Sunday's Not Since Moses Walk/Run where participants literally run on the ocean floor as the world's largest tides recede. It's a messy, but fun run with no expectation that you'll set a running time record. What better way to experience the Bay of Fundy?
http://www.notsincemoses.com/

On Friday (Canada Day) there's a FREE concert on the Dartmouth waterfront 9a short ferry ride from Halifax's downtown). The concert is followed by a great firework's display over the harbour. √

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone.
Tanya, your itinerary leaves me with free half of Tuesday, my plane is at 6pm. Are there more interesting places to visit in the area?

Scotia, what is the point in renting car in the downtown? The bus fare for two is more than airport surcharge.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 10:52 AM

Check into the costs to PARK your car downtown for that overnight on Friday, before weighing options for when to get the car.

But lets face it... merely getting a car and knowing it is in your possession for the holiday weekend may be of greatest importance.

(and for 4 car days, the airport surcharges are not multiplying as they can for some multi-week rentals)

Do whatever suits you with regard to the car.

Indeed I'd spend the first night in Halifax... perhaps if only to gain a sense for what is there to be seen later - on Tuesday, when you're free for most of the day and need to be in the area to fly out.

I would definitely go north on any first visit to Nova Scotia, and would probably stick with the main roads all the way, to save time.

Whoa, wow, scanned posts above... I'm intrigued by the notsincemoses thing... but the timing isn't good for you.

I think that Saturday night and Sunday night should be spent on Cape Breton (Baddeck, probably). Ideally you'd drive the Cabot Trail on a bright, sunny day, but the Fundy FOG may make it wise to hedge your bets and have a 2nd night scheduled at Baddeck.

In a perfect world, I'd do ONLY Saturday night at Baddeck, then, OF COURSE, awaken to perfectly sunny skies, warm temps, not an ounce of wind, and a 'good hair day' on Sunday... on which I would do the circuit of the Cabot Trail before driving back down south.

I'm WONDERING if you can strategically plant yourself (at the end of that 'perfect' Saturday) someplace from where you could drive all the way over to Hopewell Cape, NB to see the "Flower Pot Rocks" there... NEAR LOW TIDE !!!

In fact, IF you come back here and see this thread before departure... go to http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin...gion=5&zone=30

and PRINT OUT TIDE TABLES for 3 or 4 spots for the ENTIRE WINDOW of your time in the area.

Include

Truro
Hopewell Cape
Baxter's Harbour (which is near to Halls Harbour - as recommended in another post)

**** low tides this weekend at Hopewell Cape are at the inconvenient hours of 9-ish AM and 9-ish PM

but you want to go at LOW TIDE... or near to it (within an hour each way)... so you can walk WAAAAAAAAAAAAY out on the ocean floor. (maybe just print a photo from the web to serve as your high tide comparison)

If you make a reasonable effort to get there SOMEtime by/near to 10:00am, a VERY PROMINENT SIGN will tell you in no uncertain terms that you'd need to get off the beach by a certain time, OR ELSE...!!

It takes about FIVE HOURS to drive from Baddeck, NS to Hopewell Cape, NB... so you'd really want to pick a strategic spot to spend the night between the two.

IF you find yourself at Hopewell Cape/Moncton... having seen what you want to see there (check out the "Tidal Bore" at Moncton too... find schedules for that, if interested)... and are enroute back toward Halifax... with SOME time to spare... consider driving along the Bay of Fundy... anywhere from Parrsboro back to Truro (as an alternative to the main highway #104).

At any rate, PRINT those tide tables and stuff them in your luggage... (and then make sure to transfer them to the glove box in your car upon arrival)

Timing is truly everything when watching the most awesome tides on earth.

Hit the ground running and you'll have a fine time!

(... if you keep running) LOL
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM

I thought if you were uncomfortable driving late at night from airport to unfamiliar city, you could pick up car in Halifax and then go on your way. It wasn't to save money. You don't really need a car while staying in Halifax if you like to walk.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

NorthwestMale: the main problem I have with planning to go north is the weather forecast: average on Saturday, rain on Sunday and Monday. Am I right that I would have more things to do in the south if it rains?
BTW, if go north, why drive to Halifax the first night? Isn't it better to stay somewhere near the airport or even drive north for a hour or two and stay there to shorten the drive next day?
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 01:27 PM

Marine weather changes hourly so I wld not base my decision re: North vs. South on weather forecasts.
I would head to Cape Breton because it is one of the most spectacularly beautiful places on earth! The Cabot Trail offers panoramic ocean vistas that are unparalled.

If you decide to head to Cape Breton, then stay @ the Hilton @ the Halifax airport on your night of arrival. I wld make a rez now b/c July 1st is a national holiday, Canada Day, so they may already be fully booked.
Nnext day take the Hilton shuttle ( about 5 minutes) back to the airport & pick up your car rental. But again this is a very busy holiday weekend so you may have trouble getting a car rental at this late stage.

July 4 is not a holiday here in Canada.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 01:29 PM

sorry for my typos....unparalleled...among other things...
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

OceanBreeze1: Perhaps, you are correct and I should go to see Cape Breton. Then, it might make more sense not to stay at the airport, but pick a car and go to, at least to Truro, or even further, to shorten the drive next day.
What exactly is a Cabot Trail? I understand that it is just the name of a section of the road but which section?
What is there to do on Cape Brunswick other than drive and look at the cliffs and ocean?
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Some places there times for high/low height, while other have times for tidal bores. What are tidal bores? Is it high or low tide?
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 11:54 AM

The Cabot Trail, the jewel of Cape Breton Island, is a spectacular 300 loop drive along the the Atlantic Ocean. It bigins & ends in Baddeck.
Google "Cabot Trail" for detailed info.
You can hike, bike, kayak, go to music festivals, go to the beach, golf. Bring your camera!!

The only reason that I had suggested staying @ the airport hotel is because you arrive @ 10:00PM tomorrow night. By the time you deplane, pick up your luggage, ( do you have to clear customs?), & pick up your rental car, it will be late. Too late for me to drive strange roads that's for sure. But you may be ok with that. If so, then yes, drive to Truro.

Have a great trip!

Ocean
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 11:55 AM

That's 300 Km. Not miles.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 06:15 PM

Not that it matters anymore, because you're already there...

but the Tidal Bore happens on schedule, about "3 hours-ish" before maximum high tide.

The tidal bore is the (phenomenon) of the ocean currents being so strong that they reverse the flow of many of the rivers deep in the Bay of Fundy. You can't believe it when you first read about it... but when you're standing there on outdoor bleachers in Moncton, beside the river, and it is 11 o'clock at night... and then, on schedule, the current just REVERSES in the riverbed... you are amazed.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 06:16 PM

LOL - oh, wait, it's Thursday now, and not Friday.

Wish I could recall my post from this morning, which DIDN't 'take' on this thread.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 06:31 PM

OH, I clearly recall it having considerable reference to the weather in NS.

The famed Fundy FOG will have you at the mercy of weather no matter what you do.

Somebody making a first-ever trip to NS just owes it to himself and to his wife to go NORTH... (in case of an opening in the weather).

It would be perfect if you could only have to allocate ONE night to Cape Breton, and would get to circle the Cabot Trail on a clear day that next day... before high-tailing it back down south to strategically place yourself for a drive to Hopewell Cape the day afterward... with high tides @ or near to 9:00am.

You can get most of the effect of Hopewell Cape even with somewhat-foggy weather. (Pea Soup - which is entirely possible - would limit your potential there).

Spend the Tuesday in Halifax, maybe journeying to Peggy's Cove for lunch...

Just checked the weather forecast... and ohhhhhhhhhhhhh how I wish that SATURDAY were your likely day for Peggy's Cove!!!

(sigh) It's four hours from Halifax to Baddeck... and then you're only beginning the trek to the Cabot Trail from there.

the 11pm arrival time is just TOOOOO LATE to make serious plans or have expectations of covering significant ground after that.

On the bright side, traveling east lets you FEEL LIKE it is one or more hours EARLIER than it is (your energy level might be 10pm, 9pm, or whatever, depending upon where you start).

Nova Scotia DOES look and seem like Nova Scotia is supposed to seem, either in the rain or in the fog... but I hope you'll be able to live that to the fullest.

Whatever you do, PRINT THOSE TIDE TABLES and have them handy.
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 01:22 PM

(so now I checked the weather as of 6:30pm Saturday evening in NS... and tomorrow's forecast for "Baddeck, NS" says "mostly sunny, 22C")

I hope they went north !
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM

Quick update NorthwestMale, we traversed the Cabot Trail Sunday - it was perfect! Sunny and maybe more like 25C. Thanks for all your tips - trip report to follow when we eventually get home - loving Nova Scotia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -