Reload this Page >

Cape Breton Help!

Search

Cape Breton Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 02:56 PM
Patti

Cape Breton Help!

We are going to Cape Breton Island in September for about 10 days. We will be getting off the ferry in Yarmouth with our car at 11:00 am. <BR> What would be a good destination for our first night. We probably will not want to drive more than 6 hours that day. I was thinking of Pictou or Antigonish. Would that be doable? <BR> We do not want to go to Halfax or wolfville, have already been to those areas. Then we were thinking of going to Baddeck or Margaree Harbour for 2 nights, and then on to Cheticamp for 2 nights. We want to go to the Fort at Louisbourg also. <BR><BR>Please let me know if these are good stopping points and if you have any ideas on lodging. We prefer a bed and breakfast. Have never been to this area so any help would be appreciated. Thank You! <BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:08 PM
Bluenoser

Here's a link to a travel distance calculator for Nova Scotia: http://explore.gov.ns.ca/howtogetaround/distancecalculator/default.htm<BR><BR><BR>There's a menu on the right that will link you to accommodations listings for the whole province--just choose the kind of accommodations you want and the place or travel route you'll be taking. There are wonderful inns and B&Bs in Cape Breton--but you've also got time to order the government travel guide and plan you route with that.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:33 PM
Erik

Last summer, my girlfriend and I spent three days at Chimney Corner Bed and Breakfast (search on Google.com and you'll find it, including photos), which is near Cheticamp. The setting is gorgeous, right on the Gulf of St. Lawrence. The owners were very nice, and they have a kayak which they let us borrow. This is not luxury accomodations, but we enjoyed ourselves.<BR><BR>As for a stopping point, this may not be far enough along for you, but I recommend Lunenburg. I'm afraid I cannot recall the B & B we selected, but it's definitely a small seaside town worth some time. Good luck.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Patti

Thanks for the information on the distance calculator, that will help a great deal. <BR>I have already sent away for the travel guide. Thank You!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Patti

The Chimney Corner Bed and Breakfast looks great. We were thinking of spending two nights near Cheticamp and we love to kayak. <BR> We stayed in Lunenburg last time we were in Novia Scotia so I think we will drive a bit farther. Thanks so much for the info on Cheticamp.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Tanya

Yarmouth to Halifax is about 4 hours. Pictou is about 2 hours past that so probably a good spot to stop. The Town of Pictou has many good spots to stay - The Consultate Inn, Braeside or Walker Inn. Baddeck is a good central point to stay. Louisbourg is about 2 hours from there. You can do Louisbourg from Pictou - about 4 hours drive. Make sure you give yourself about 3-4 hours to roam the fortress. In Baddeck make sure you do the Alexander Graham Bell museum. The Loch Breagh is a powerboat that takes you on a trip around the small lake. Sil is an interesting captain! From Baddeck I would recommend heading towards Ingonish and doing the trail counterclock wise. In Pleasant Bay you can do whale watching. Last weekend they were spotting large pods of whales (20-30 at a time) They probably also rent out kayaks! Cheticamp is great. We ate at the Harbour View Restaurant - good food.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Patti

Pictou sounds like a good stopping point. I will try one of those Inns you suggested. Thanks for the information on the speedboat and the whale watching. I appreciate all the great suggestions.