Canadian Rockies - HELP

Search

Canadian Rockies - HELP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Rockies - HELP

My husband and I are planning a trip with some friends in September this year. We plan to fly to Vancouver and travel via Kamloops to Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff and home from Calgary. Any advice or tips on where to stay and what to see would be greatly appreciated.

Our greatest problem at the moment is, do we do the Rocky Mountineer train from Vancouver to Jasper or not! We have been told that it is not worth it, that all you see are trees and more trees, whereas if you drive from Vancouver to Jasper via Kamloops the scenery is breathtaking and you can stop when you like for photographs - has anyone been on the train? If so, what did you really think? Was it worth it? It is a lot of money and we are really unsure, we dont want to leave it and then go and find that we have missed one of the "best bits" all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone been to Saskatchewan River Crossing and stayed at the Crossings Hotel - we have read conflicting reports on the hotel, but been told that it in a fantastic spot for scenery and photographs, can anyone help us?

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 01:28 PM

You essentially travel the exact same route whether you go by train or by car. You don't miss out on the best bits - the bets bits are once you arrive in Jasper, and only then, they're only accessible by car once you get there.

The people who travel by Rocky Mountaineer do so for the experience of luxury, not for the sightseeing benefits.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Travelled on the Rocky Mountaineer with an English cousin and we both loved it; don't agree that you travel on it for the luxury only - the scenery was spectacular. It's only 2 days then you can stay in any of the places you mention - we spent 5 days in Banff after the train trip.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Are you planning on renting a car in Jasper and dropping it off in Calgary? If so, make sure you're aware of any pricey drop-off charges. If the drop-off charge is too high, they could be in the hundreds, you could take the train to Calgary, rent a car there and drive through Banff, up to Jasper and back again.

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 08:11 AM

I disagree with Carmanah - it is not essentially "the exact same raoute", especially as it applies to available views.

The rail line cuts through many areas where the view is quite different from the highway.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 07:46 AM

I also think you are able to see more from the train than a car, for two reasons. First, the driver of a car should be paying at least minimal attention to the road. That detracts from the sightseeing quite a lot. Second, you are elevated higher off the ground in a train and for that reason are able to see farther away and also see better down into the canyons.

It has been several years since I rode the Rocky Mountaineer but I still remember the spectacular views. I've done the same route by car a couple of times and would choose the train whenever I could.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM

Except that in many places, the rail line is up against a mountain or hill on one side, and has a screen of trees on the other - whereas the road has a cleared margin on either side. The last time I rode this route (on VIA Rail, which uses the same track), it was March, and there were no leaves on the trees along the tracks, so visibility was quite good. I think visibility is better on the highway.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 08:22 PM

I guess we have to agree to disagree. I've done both and, as I said, I much prefer the train (the Rocky Mountaineer, not the Canadian) but your mileage may vary.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:17 PM

Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my recommendation.

If price is an issue, I don't believe the extra several thousands of dollars you'd pay for the Rocky Mountaineer are worth it, because you're not getting several thousands of dollars more in views, but you're paying that much money to be pampered and catered to while travelling what's essentially the very same route that you'd take if you were to drive. If money is an issue, then I truly don't believe the Rocky Mountaineer is worth the extra money, especially if you feel comfortable driving. The driving allows for flexibility and access to sites you completely bypass if you were on a train.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM

... but of course, the price of the Rocky Mountaineer also includes your meals and your overnight accommodation in a basic hotel in Kamloops.

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM

Cattowser,

A line in your post made me laugh... the part about "trees and more trees"

I have the feeling that B.C. is a whole lot like that all over.

I drove to Alaska a few years ago and for much of northern B.C. the Alaska Highway has you surrounded 360 degrees by nothing but thick forest and the road you're on.

Makes you want to go home and purchase a ream of paper just because it seems that they have enough trees for all of us.