Reload this Page >

Canadian dining in Banff

Search

Canadian dining in Banff

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:43 AM
ddbuch

Canadian dining in Banff

I am bringing my husband to Canada for the first time. We would like to have dinner at a nice restaurant in Banff where they would have Canadian cuisine like Venison, caribou etc. Any ideas?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Robyn

Just to be extremely trivial *grin* it depends on your definition of "Canadian cuisine". Typically I wouldn't call big game "Canadian cuisine" because (with exception to natives) the average Canadian probably has never tasted venison or caribou. While those are game animals that are found in Canada, and their meat is available in certain restaurants, I think you'll find it mostly in high-end gourmet restaurants. The average Canadian eats similarly to what Americans eat - ethnic and regional foods. Because Canada has so many regions, there's no *one* exact Canadian cuisine, but Banff being in Alberta on the border to BC, you'll probably have your fair share of BC regional food and Alberta regional food. <BR><BR>But to answer your question, I'm sure there are restaurants that serve venison and caribou in Banff. Perhaps other people would know.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 10:00 AM
ja

There is a place in Banff called, I believe, The Grizzly House - it serves game meat from deer to buffalo to alligator to shark. Terribly pricey, though. However, the previuos poster is correct - most non-Aboriginal Canadians don't eat a lot of game.<BR>ja

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Jean-Pierre

You're kidding, right? Canadian dining can be had almost anywhere in Alberta. It consists mainly of:<BR>- Tim Horton donut<BR>- Pepsi<BR><BR>More upscale fine eating establishments have spaghetti with Heinz ketchup.<BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Stéphane

I must object strongly to the above statement to the effect that "most non-Aboriginal Canadians don't eat a lot of game". The only way this statement can be made true is by considering the Qu&eacute;b&eacute;cois as a distinct aboreginal Nation. The fact that many Qu&eacute;b&eacute;cois do consider themselves as a part of a distinct Nation, does not however, by any means, lend credence to the above assertion.<BR><BR>Indeed the Qu&eacute;b&eacute;cois do eat a lot of indigenous meat & fish. You'll find deer, caribou, moose, bison, salmon, trout, dor&eacute;, perchaude, etc. on the menu of a many restaurants in Montr&eacute;al. All can be procured easily at Atwater & Jean-Talon markets.<BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 04:05 PM
rita

The best "game" dining in Banff can be found at the dining room at Buffalo Mountain Lodge. They have perfected a cuisine which they call "Rocky Mountain Cuisine" which is based on local fruits and vegetables and a wide variety of game meats including cariboo, venison and buffalo. The food is excellent and they've been asked to prepare dinner twice at the hallowed James Beard Foundation in NY.<BR><BR>Be sure to make a reservation early as they do tend to book up during the summer.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:41 AM
ddbuch

Thank you everyone for your advice. I was born and raised in Canada and am fully aware most Canadias have never tasted Caribou etc, however, my husband is excited at the opportunity to try some for the first time. I guess I used the wrong words to decribe what I am looking for. I guess I should have said where can I get Kraft dinner and Ketchup? Per your suggestions Jean-Pierre eating donuts and drinking pop is not my idea of celebrating our second year anniversary. I will check into the suggestions the rest of you had. Thanks so much.