Reload this Page >

Canada Day in Edmonton

Search

Canada Day in Edmonton

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Gloria

Canada Day in Edmonton

We will arrive in Edmonton on Canada Day. Please tell us the best place to go to see fireworks. What other special events are held on Canada Day? Are such buildings as the Shaw Conference Center and the Alberta Legislature open? In other words, we want to join our good neighbors, the Canadians, in celebrating. Please give us tips on how to spend our afternoon and evening. (We will go to the West Edmonton Mall the following day.)

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 08:23 PM
jim

Dont know about the Leg. being open. Probably. But a good place to go would be Fort Edmonton Park. An excellent "theme park" depicting the history of Edmonton and ALberta through the 1900's. Should be lots going on there on Canada day.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:39 AM
ja

They haven't announced the plans for this year's celebrations yet, but last year they had the fireworks at the Leg., so the place to go to watch them is along the North side of the river - Ezio Farone Park, Louise McKinney park, etc. You would have to get there early to get a good spot on the grass. Also, the "Great Divide" waterfall (waterfall from the RR tracks on top of the High Level Bridge) will be turned on for the festivities - If you've never seen a man-made waterfall from the top of the bridge before.<BR> There was an ugly riot on Whyte Ave. last Canada Day when the bars and clubs all closed for the night - I'm sure the police will be taking measures to prevent a recurrence, but I also expect that a lot of sensation-seekers will crowd into that area hoping for trouble, so I'd avoid the Old Strathcona area that night. Hope this helps.<BR>ja

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:13 PM
D.S

I second the Great Divide waterfall. To get a good spot for all the action, get there early. You could probably park somewhere on Jasper Ave and walk south on 109th St to the high level bridge. <BR>In the morning/afternoon, there are events at the Leg. Couple years back, there was a free tour inside the Leg. and also a mountie parade on the Leg. grounds. <BR><BR>and yes, I would stay away from Whyte ave at night.. Have fun!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Gloria

Thanks to all for your advice. I located the High Level Bridge on my maps but, J. A., I can't find either of the two parks you mentioned. Are they downtown or anywhere near the Legislature or the High Level Bridge? D.S.,you mentioned walking south on 109th St. to the bridge. Is it a safe neighborhood? We will be staying at the Delta Edmonton Center Hotel. Would it be too far or dangerous for us to walk all the way to the Legislature and the Great Divide Falls? Or should we take the L.R.T.? My map doesn't show if it goes to 109th. Would we transfer to a bus there? <BR>Thanks very much for telling us to avoid Whyte Ave. We appreciate the help of everyone. If anyone needs advice about Walt Disney World here in Florida, post a message here and I will try to reciprocate.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Robyn

As a visitor from Vancouver, I visited Edmonton during their Fringe Festival in late August of 2000. I spent a night exploring Whyte Avenue and had a blast! Everyone was friendly, there was a really good vibe. The street consists of dozens of cafes, bars, restaurants and shops. In fact, it was probably one of the livelier neighbourhoods I visited during my trip to Edmonton. <BR><BR>Did the drunken riot during Canada Day last year reflect every other Canada Day, or any other night on Whyte Avenue? I wouldn't say not to visit that neighbourhood just because of one bad incident.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 02:17 PM
xxx

you can walk to the legislature gounds from your hotel but it is a distance. i say it would probably take about 1/2 hour. it's safe to walk there cause it is a busy area. <BR>definitly check out whyte avenue. but, if you go on canada day, i'd plan on leaving the area several hours before the bars shut down. or head down there one day for supper. there are lots of great restaurants to choose from.<BR>you don't want to walk down 109 street to see the waterfall because that's the street the bridge is on. you'll want to be at least a few blocks north.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 02:50 PM
ja

Hi, Gloria,<BR> Ezio Farone park is located where 109 st. enters the High Level bridge, on the west side of 109th. Louise McKinney park is located below (as in down the hill) and to the east of the Convention Center, which is on the south side of Jasper Ave. at 97 st. And to answer Robyn, yes, Whyte Ave. is a wonderful place to visit/roam, but it has its share of problems as well, a lot of which have escalated in the past couple of years. I'm not saying it should be avoided, but knowing the mindset of the local population, it's definitely a possibility that the very fact there was a bad scene there only a year ago may attract a lot of the troublemakers who are hoping for a repaet incident, therefore caution is indicated.<BR>Enjoy your trip here, Gloria.<BR>ja

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 05:53 AM
stephie

Whyte Ave is great and definately worth a visit I go there all the time at night and it is perfectly safe...but on Canada Day you would just want to be extra careful...maybe do some late day shopping and then supper on Whyte and head to the fireworks in the eve. Fort Edmonton is great too but it would most likely close in the eve? I am pretty sure that there will be no bands and fireworks and beer tents @ the Leg this year because of the riot last year but the great divide will be on. So check out the waterfall and consult a local newspaper to see where the fireworks are being set off and where other events are happening. If they are set off from the Leg area, get a spot on the bank, out of the trees. If they are being set off from Grierson Hill (near muttart conservatory) you would get a good view from the Shaw conference centre. It is about an 12 block walk between the Leg (waterfall) and the Shaw. You could also take the eastbound train from Grandin to Central (free I think???) to cut down the walking time. Have fun!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:29 PM
D.S

Hi Gloria, Jasper Ave is the main Ave running East-West in the heart of downtown (~ 101 Ave). I believe your Hotel is somewhere on 102 Ave. In that case, you can take any bus (#1, #5, can't remember the others!) that goes on Jasper ave (walk one block south) to 109th St. Or you can also catch the LRT on Jasper and get off at 109 ST. On Canada Day esp for the fireworks, that whole area will be packed and full of people. <BR><BR>Whyte Ave is definitely nice during the day.. it has great trendy shops and some very nice restaurants. If the weather is nice, it's really nice to just walk around there. HAve a nice trip.

Old May 25th, 2002, 09:47 AM
ja

Hi, Gloria -<BR> According to an article in today's Edmonton Journal, the fireworks will be in Louise Mckinney Park this year (north side of the river just below the Convention Center) and will "probably be preceded by a show from the city's multicultural groups." Will post updates on this thread if I find out any more.<BR>ja

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:39 PM
TM

Sounds like Edmonton will be making Canada Day very calm this year. The Major talked about multi-cultural events before the fireworks cause it's a "family" day. Actually I think it was made to be a day to celebrate Canada. You can have your events geared to families but there are adults that want to celebrate without kids. I'm all for not having the beer gardens at the leg grounds cause all those drunks then headed to Whyte Avenue but, hey, lets now get so conservative that no one wants to come here to celebrate. Personally, doesn't sound like something that would draw me.