Sarnia, Ont for Canada Day

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sarnia, Ont for Canada Day

We are planning to head to Sarnia for their Canada Day festivities. Has anyone got tips on the best things to do there and what not to miss
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Well, I spent most of my childhood there..it is a small town...the two main parks on the water are Canatara and Centennial. Canatara is your old fashioned picnic type park with a beach..the view is quite pretty as you are close to the Blue Water Bridge. Centennial Park, in the past, has offered Canada Day activities. There is usually a parade, as well..but remember it is a small city. I am sure if you look up their tourism website..more information can be found.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

thanks. we have since heard the canada day festivies are second only to ottawa's in popularity.. ethinic food boots at canatara park are the most recommended
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 03:25 AM

Sarnia is next only to Ottawa? LOL....a new Canadian tourist mecca.....
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Please post as to how it went. The parade is Saturday morning at 11:00. Starts at Lakeshore and Colborne and winds along Lakeshore to Canatara. The Saturday activities are concentrated in Canatara. There is lots to do including eating and swimming (in a beautiful unpolluted Lake ((Huron)). If you are walking, exit the park on the south west side and walk the boardwalk to the Bluewater Bridge for some excellent fries. It will be very busy. The fireworks take place Saturday night at dusk in Cenntennial Park. Bring a blanket to sit on. The park offers a spectacular view of the St. Clair River. If you can make a reservation, sit on the patio at Stokes by the Bay or Paddy Flaherty's pub and watch the fireworks from there. Local industry helps pay and the display is usually quite amazing. Yes gannetmusic it is a mecca, but please don't tell anyone as I don't want it overrun with a bunch of tourists!
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 08:24 AM

Lolly,

I have fond memories of Sarnia, as I was, many years ago, more than a little 'smitten' with a young lady from that fair city and made the trip from Toronto many times.

Cheers

Jerry [ nostalgic in Toronto....]
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

We had an awesome time. Beaches were great, ethnic food booths at Canatara were very tasty and fireworks over the river were spectacular!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:50 PM
wouldlovetogo

Wow, didnt think there would be much about Sarnia on here but was glad to read this post. We are heading there today for Bayfest (Brooks and Dunn-Sunday) We didnt realize ther were beaches there so we.ll pack the suits.