Boutique style hotels in Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boutique style hotels in Vancouver

I am planning a trip in early July to visit Vancouver. Looking
for a boutique style hotel for
150 USD. I dont really care for the generic big or small chain hotels. I would like a location fairly close to Robson street.
The hotel must offer handicap
accesible rooms with two double
beds or larger. All replies are
very much appreciated.
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:17 PM

The Wedgewood Hotel is very, very nice... just off Robson Street. It's an award-winning boutique hotel but I'm not sure what the rates are. I'm sure they have a website or you could try priceline or travelocity.
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:40 PM

A Boutique hotel is The Opus hotel and their website is
www.opushotel.com
I have discovered that if you book directly with hotel and then search the internet for better deals - then go back to the hotel - the price tends to drop as they will take the business directly.
Best of luck.
Jay
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:44 PM

I agree that the Wedgewood is absolutely the best botique hotel in Vancouver and it certainly fits all your requirements except I don't know whether you could get it for as little as $150US or $200CAN. It's website is www.wedgewoodhotel.com Frankly I can't think of any other botique hotel near Robson or even in the downtown peninsula that meets your requirements although there are some excellant B & B's.

If you are prepared to stay slightly off the downtown peninsula the Granville Island Hotel is unique and would probably fit your price structure. The website is www.granvilleislandhotel.com.
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Actually I forgot about the Opus hotel but it's rates also will not be less than about $250CAN even if you do as Jay reccomends. But you can try. It is more conveniently located than the Granville Island Hotel but nowhere near as good as the Wedgewood.
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Vancouver Fodorites, what is your opinion of Georgian Court Hotel? I don't know that it fits the definition of boutique hotel, which I understand to mean a hotel with fewer than 100 rooms. Georgian Court has 180 rooms.

Expedia is showing a deluxe king room or deluxe double room in July going for C$190 (US$140). Expedia website says rooms are wheelchair accessible.

Address is Beatty Street, close to Robson Street. This is at the Yaletown end of Robson Street. Is this too far east to be considered desirable? It's ages since I've acually stayed in downtown Vancouver. We usually stay with friends in the suburbs.

Breakfast available, but not included in room rate. Parking available, but not included in room rate.

Georgian Court is showing up as a 3 star property, whereas Wedgewood and Opus are showing up as 4 star properties. 201wp, I think US$150 really is a stretch for a 4 star property in Vancouver, as other posters already have indicated. But, as they've also said, there's no harm in trying Priceline.
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:10 PM

Georgian Court would not be my first choice of location, although it's not too bad.

I think the Granville Island hotel would be very enjoyable, but you'd either have to drive out, take the bus out, or take the ferry out. If one person has mobility impairments (just guessing because of the handicap accessibility issue), it might not be a top choice.

How about the Listel Hotel on Robson Street? That might work for what you want.

I'd suggest Priceline but your requirements are a little stringent.
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:03 PM

The Georgian Court is at the eastern foot of Robson Street, across from BC Place Stadium. It's about an 8-block walk to the main shopping part of Robson. Not in the thick of things, but not too far either.
I never think of it as a boutique-type hotel, although it isn't huge and is quite nice and intimate. It has an award-winning restaurant, the William Tell. Lots of Hockey Night and CBC sports people stay there when they come to town. it's where we would book guests for my place of work.
I stayed there before I moved here and it was nice enough, but that was about 20 years ago!

The Opus is in Yaletown, the new trendy, "in" part of town. Not too far from Robson, I guess, about a mile to the busy part.
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

I would like to thank everyone for the quick responses that were written. I am going to look into the Granville Island Hotel
a little more. It sounds like it is in a happening place and I will have a car so seeing other
sights will not be a problem.
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Before you decide, do also check Le Soleil in the heart of downtown...small, great service and the location puts Robson Street, the Art Gallery, theatre all at your doorstep. I've had great experience there, and it will fit your budget. Good luck!