Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Big White for a week, but what about Kelowna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have finally decided on Big White for a week in January, we have a 5 day ski pass organised but will have a day free. Is Kelowna a place to spend a leisurely day or should we just sit in the hot tub and look at the mountains !
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:44 AM

If you have young(ish) children, I think a week at Big White would be fine. Big White has a terrific Kid's Camp. However, if you have older teens or anyone in your party is a non-skier, a week would be much too long, IMO.

I THINK Big White is twinned with Silver Star Mountain, so you could drive there for a day's skiing, if that appealed.

I've just driven through Kelowna, but will spend numerous days this summer at baseball camps. Our drive-through this past March didn't thrill me: highway through town, lots and lots of shopping malls.

What about a mini-winery tour for your day off? I'm assuming the vineyards are open year round but you could google something like Kelowna + wine tour for more details.
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Hi Marko, Kelowna is nice in the summer but, unless you all crave getting away from Big White for a day, I wouldn't bother making a special trip there. Nothing exciting other than a change in scenery (which is much nicer in the mountains). Hope you enjoy your trip!
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

The kids are teenagers and will ski until they drop ! Me, after 5 days my old bones and joints will be screaming ! I suppose I could have them catch a shuttle to silver star and the wife and I can soak in the tub. (Actually that sounds damn good !!!!)
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Marko, if you're staying at a Big White condo, make sure you do all your supply shopping in Kelowna before making the approx. 45 min. drive to Big White. BW's village is very small, and there really is just a small convenience store for groceries (and with ski-resort prices). No book store either (crucial for me!).
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up linda !! Hadn't thought about that. We are flying into kelowna and getting an organised transfer, so I suppose that will make it hard ! Do you think they will stop the bus for me to do my grocery shopping. )
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:54 PM

We had an organized transfer when we went to Silver Star but we were the only ones in the van and the driver had no problem stopping so we could shop. Find out if you are on a bus with other folks or if your ride will be your own - I think the transfer drivers are very used to stopping on the way. And they sure know where the best stores are!
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like a good idea! Do they sell booze in grocery stores in Canada ? Or do you have to find a seperate store ?
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Liquor is not sold in grocery stores in BC, unless it's changed in the last few months. Wine and beer are sold in stores in Quebec, but I don't think too many provinces do that.
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

So just purchase from hotels ??
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:44 AM

Marko, B.C. have their own government run liquor stores and for sure, the driver will know where it is in Kelowna. Food and drink - what more does one need on a ski holiday other than lots of fresh pow! Have a great time.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:43 AM

At Big White, liquor is sold in the larger grocery store in the village. You can ask someone when you get there to point you in the right direction. There's not too much of a selection of wine and spirits, although there is typically a decent choice of beer. Keep in mind that during busy periods around the holidays, there can be a run on alcohol and the store practically runs out, so you should purchase enough to get you through your stay when you have the first opportunity.

With respect to groceries, in addition to the larger place (and it's not very big to start with), there is another smaller spot to buy food. The selection isn't huge but you can certainly find enough there to eat for a week and you'll definitely be able to buy the staples - milk, bread, cereal, etc. There are some veggies, meat, etc but not too much. I actually didn't find the prices to be that high, but then I come from a pretty expensive city in the first place.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:32 PM

if your driver will make a stop along the way, you can get it all at Willow Park shopping center. You will go right by it on the way from the airport to Big White.
Get groceries at the Marketplace IGA, there is a liquor store, bakery, starbucks among others at this small strip mall. One stop there along the way should get you everything you need.

There is no need to come off the hill, unless you want to take in a movie or go bowling, or shopping. If you are a junior hockey fan the rockets might be playing a Prospera place, or there might be a concert happening, but it is a little early to be planning that yet.
Kelowna in the winter tends to be quite gray, but on the hill you can get beautiful weather.
Big white and Silver Star are owned and operated by the same corp. You can get dual mtn passes. There are bus transfers between the two mountains.
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

OK, looks like Kelowna becomes the grocery stop only ! and the hot tub looks like getting a work out ! Thanks for the advice.