Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Killington VT. other the skiing????

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:44 AM
juli

Hi Fodorites

I am going to Killington with a group of about 14 people in Feb. I have never skiied, crazy I know but I am going to attempt it. I am intrested to know what other things to do and places to go you could recommend to enjoy while everyone else is out skiing.
Thanks for the info

Juli

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:07 AM
ski-mmie

you will love skiing! once you try, you wont care about the other stuff. depends on where you are staying--you could go work out, get a massage, go snowmobiling...but definitely try it. take a lesson which will kill a couple hrs and make you feel better about it...they have a lot of terrain...something for everyone...if not...hang at the lodge and they'll pack you off after a day of imbibing!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:36 PM
juli

I do plan to take lessons on the first day we get there. I am just concerned about filling the other 4 days. Since I dont know many of the other couples going (yes, cheesy Rick I have a fiance, and thanks for the input) I just wanted to have a few ideas of other things to do there. I wanted to do a snowmobile tour, has anyone heard of a good one?
I would appreciate only genuine help

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Kim

Juli, have you considered snow tubing? It's just like sledding but on a big inner tube and it's a lot of fun.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:43 PM
M.

Skating, c/c skiing, snowshoeing, shopping and dining in nearby Woodstock, sleigh ride at Billings Farm ...

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:48 PM
steve

Not that great a snowboarder here but I've had a blast everytime I've been to Killington. I second the snowmobiling suggestion and/or snowshoeing.

If you're into nightlife, there are a number of places on the Access Road - Wobbly Barn, The Nitespot. Vaguely remember meeting Christina Aguilera there - or at least that's what she told me ha ha.

For excellent breakfasts, I need help from fellow posters for the exact name but it's something like Peppers.

You will have a great time. Beautiful state.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:53 AM
fluffnfold

I visited Killington last winter as a first time skier. It was a great place to learn. They have plenty of "bunny" slopes.

The Killington Grand Lodge has a great heated pool/hot tubs, as well as a nice spa.

As for other outdoor activities, my favorite is dog sledding at Mountain Meadows (must reserve early). Mountain Meadows also has lots of cross-country trails. You could try ice skating at the Grist Mill (if the pond is frozen--it wasn't last year), Mountain Top Inn, or Hawk Inn. Sleigh rides at Cortina Inn or Mountain Top are much more fun than they sound.

I recommend eating at Hemingways and the Moondance Grill, also more casual places like Charity's, and visit the Pickle Barrel for apres-ski music and drinking.

There isn't really any shopping, museums, or other sightseeing nearby.

Have fun!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:10 PM
John

Juli:

If you have a car go and explore:
Rutland, Queeche, and Woodstock!
Not necessarily in that order!
JOHN

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Davecooker

The shopping in Woodstock is great. Dining is very expensive, as is Heminways. There are lots of restaurants on the access road - you can't go far wrong on any of them.
Best breakfasts are at Blanche & Bills, about 5 miles from the bottom of the access road, on Tr 4.