Best Western Sands Hotel...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Western Sands Hotel...

any opinions on this hotel? It's located at
1755 Davie st.
I was originally thinking about the Hilton Metrotown but if this is (closer to the sights) then I might go with this.
We're a party of 8 (needing 2 rooms) so price is an issue.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

oops....should have said this is in Vancouver!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM

I am not familiar with the property itself, but the location is delightful. It's in the West End, a mixed density residential neighbourhood between downtown and the West End.

It's about a block away from English Bay, about 3 blocks from Stanley Park, and only a few blocks from the little ferry that takes people across False Creek to Granville Island Market.

Purely from a location point of view, I would have to give this property top marks.

If I won the lottery tomorrow, that is approximately where I would live.

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM

I wouldn't recommend the Metrotown Hilton unless you're there for a very specific purpose - a meeting or conference or something. While it is near the skytrain line at Metrotown (the largest mall in western canada, other than in Edmonton), it's about 30 minutes by train to downtown and most of the sights you'd be interested in seeing. Definately try to find something downtown or the west end.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, BikerScott...that's what I'm starting to think (about the Hilton).

Do you know anything about the BW Sands or can you recommend any other hotel near the Stanley Park area? We don't want the fancy hotels but we do want clean and not rundown.

Thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:20 AM

To be honest, as I live in Vancouver I've never really stayed at any of the hotels downtown (although oddly I have stayed at the Metrotown Hilton for one night - won it at a Christmas party).

The Sands has a great location and seems to have good reviews on TripAdvisor, although Vancouver is pretty small and most places are going to be within walking distance of the park (other hotels in that area include the Westin Bayshore, Sandman on Davie, Coast Plaza...).
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:10 PM

I've been inside the BW Sands, and while the location is beautiful, I found the interior somewhat tacky and dated.

However, look up the Times Square Suites, the Westin Bayshore, or the Coast Plaza - they're all in the same area. The Sylvia Hotel might also work in your favour, but it's an older hotel... but it's all about the location. All these hotels are located around Denman Street - close to the beach and a short stroll away from the entrance to Stanley Park.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Carmanah- I've thought about the Sylvia hotel many times (based on website and location) but on trip advisor a few people said it was very old. I don't mind old as long as it's clean (not dirty and old). Have you been to the Sylvia hotel? Any opinions compared to the BW Sands (better or about the same?)

The other hotels you mentioned are a bit high for our large party of 8 needing 2 rooms.