Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto Traveller going to Vancouver; need advice please

Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:31 AM
d

Planning on visiting Vancouver for the first time around New Years Eve. My question is, what area is best to stay in in terms of nightlife, nice scenery, restaurants etc... I would like to see something different that we don't have here in Toronto. Does anyone have any ideas for a new married couple in mid twenties? Thanks so much

Oct 22nd, 2002, 12:04 PM
gary

You definately want to stay in the downtown peninsula but that said there are a number of places within that area to stay. The two most popular places are the Harbourfront Hotels stretching from The Westin Bayshore to the Gastown area and the core area within a few blocks of Granville & Georgia.

The Haurbourfront area, with the possible exception of English Bay, is the most scenic and different from TO. The scenery is breathtaking and whether you prefer to be closer to Stanley Park or the Gastown area there is a fair amount of activity day and night.

The advantage of the Downtown core is primarily shopping either at the Pacific Centre, (Think Eaton Centre), or Robson Street, (think Yorkville). High rooms do have great views but at ground level you might as well be in Toronto.

The other areas are English Bay/West End which is great in the summer but in mid winter with the high liklihood of rain a lot of the charm is lost. Yaletown on the East of the Peninsula is located close to the Sports and Theatre complexes and I don't think that's what you're looking for.

You'll find great restaurants all over the downtown area with no area being much better than the other.

So I reccomend the Waterfront in a room facing the Harbour. The best choices in my opinion would be the Pan Pacific followed by the Bayshore and then the Fairmont Waterfront. All are pretty pricey but except for New Years Eve you can probably get a good off season rate.

Oct 22nd, 2002, 03:29 PM
Robyn

I don't know what you do in Toronto on New Years, but for people in their 20's who are looking for some amazing nightlife, don't come to Vancouver expecting it.

Something you might really enjoy however, especially on New Year's Eve, are the party cruises they have sailing around Vancouver. Me and my boyfriend (I in my 20's, him in his 30's) did that last year and had a blast. Depending on the boat you buy tickets for, there will either be a live band, or there will be DJ's... a dance floor, food, drinks, and a general happy party atmosphere.

As for nightlife within Vancouver, if you're talking about clubs, the clubs are spread all over the city. There is no one district you can go to experience a lot of clubs, although the majority of them are located on on Granville Street, Seymour Street, in Yaletown and in Gastown. www.clubvibes.com might help you finding things to do for that.

Oct 25th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Mary Ann

I completely disagree with staying on the downtown peninsula. The noise is incredible right now with all the construction that is going on and in terms of getting downtown quickly you can get there from the west side and kits really quickly with public transport or for only a few dollars in a taxi. The express bus gets from UBC to Broadway and Granville in only 3 stops and from there you are downtown in only one stop! The restaurants on the west side of the city are much better and as I posted elsewhere here is some more information:

Message: Try Pacific Spirit Park, near UBC for the kids. Also don't miss the museum of Anthropology at UBC and the beaches called Locarno, Spanish Banks and Jericho. A great area to eat is in the west 10th shopping area in the 4400 block where you will find Provence and across the street and down is a place called Wabi Sabi which is surely the best Japanese food in the city! Try their wild mushroom salad to start with. Another fabulous place to eat is Montri's -- a Thai restaurant near Alma street, on Broadway, and just around the corner on West 10th Avenue is an excellent tapas style place called "Asia" -- the kids would love many of the items on their menu. We stayed at Casa Mora, a bed and breakfast near UBC and we thought it was excellent because we had a fireplace, our own kitchen, a private entrance and we actually cooked for ourselves, including breakfasts - they supplied a food basket when we got their and we had the option of full, cooked breakfasts but went with the basket option instead. We loved the west side of the city with its superb views, all the parks, tennis courts, playgrounds, and it is much, much quieter than downtown where there is a lot of construction happening now particularly in the west end where you hear the noise of construction, the traffic and the drone of the downtown, almost constantly. Vancouver's public transport has come a long way in recent years and to get to Stanley Park and the downtown from the west side and from the UBC area is only a few stops on their express bus called the 99 bee-line.

A mid twenties couple, I think, would prefer the west side and the romance of place like Casa Mora, Provence Grill the Nitobe Gardens at the Universtiy and if you want to hit the downtown at any stage, on New Year's eve or otherwise, you can be there in a flash. Also, avoid some areas in the downtown which are dirty, ugly and dangerous -- like parts of Granville Street just north of the bridge for several blocks, Hastings Street east of Richards Street, and even Davie Street can get quite rough if you are there at the wrong time.

Oct 25th, 2002, 07:34 PM
gary

As someone who has lived virtually all my life on the West Side of Vancouver and who now lives in Kitsilano facing English Bay and furthermore wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world, I still respectfully disagree with Mary Ann.

First of all what nightlife there is on the West Side is primarily of the Neighbourhood Pub variety. While there are a number of good and very good restaurants they are fairly scattered and in any event there are no Hotels west of Granville street and only a few B & B's - again fairly scattered. Consequently, no matter how good the public transit is in Vancouver - yould either be spending a lot of time on it or a lot of money on Cabs or a rented car.

I do think that on a nice crisp day taking the bus or a cab to Kits Beach or, strolling along the Palm fringed homes of Point Grey road and a little further on & even better than Kits Beach - Spanish Banks, and walking along those beaches is a wonderful and very Vancouver experiance. Strolling West Broadway between Macdonald and Blenheim is also a very pleasant and enriching experiance but neither Broadway or Mary Ann's 10th Avenue would be out of place in TO. So with all due respect to Mary Ann, I stick to my original reccomendations with the above adendums.