B.C vacation - crazy to skip Tofino?

Jan 25th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

B.C vacation - crazy to skip Tofino?

My husband and I are planning use up air miles on a week-long trip in mid-June to B.C. I was originally planing to do a Tofino - Vancouver trip, but I've been swayed by some lovely (and affordable) properties on the Sunshine coast and now I'm re-thinking everything! I've also heard that the water on the Sunshine coast is better suited to swimming and the Tofino beaches are always quite cold. That all said, every time I see the Sunshine Coast compared with Tofino, people ALWAYS recommend Tofino. What exactly is it about Tofino I would be missing out on that I wouldn't get on the Sunshine coast?

Just for background, my husband and I are from Edmonton, AB in our late-twenties, quite outdoorsy and we aren't out to splurge. We mostly like to explore, check out interesting views and take photos. We like good food, but cook a fair deal even on vacation so the food scene isn't the most important - we don't drink either.

The idea of flying then driving out to Tofino stresses me out a little (especially since the road will be under construction this summer), and I'm worried it will be completely overrun with people that time of year. It's also more expensive...though I get there's probably a reason for all of that! Maybe it is just the place to be?

Hanging out in a kayak in warm water on the rocky sunshine coast sounds dreamy to me...but I don't want to miss Tofino if it's un-missable! Help?
Jan 25th, 2018, 11:42 AM

I love both Tofino and the Sunshine Coast. However, don't expect warm water in either location, although the Sunshine Coast will be calmer and suitable for kayaking. It might not feel like summer yet, be sure to pack rain gear.
Jan 26th, 2018, 10:50 AM

Tofino is a bitch to get to, but it is worth it
in July ,when we were there, the water was ice cold
Jan 29th, 2018, 02:36 PM

Don't miss the Tofino side of Vancouver Island! The wildness of the Pacific Coast is wonderful. I am so glad that I went. Even though the drive is long there are a few things to see along the way. e.g. Goats on the Roof and Cathedral Grove.
Mar 2nd, 2018, 06:05 PM

Torino is not to be missed

Tofino is a National Park for a reason, it is amazing. Any trip to Vancouver Island should include this sight. Sunshine Coast is lovely but not in the same league. The drive out can be hard but if you plan your timing,ie in the morning, you will be often on the road by yourself. I live in Nanaimo so I know what I am talking about.
Mar 3rd, 2018, 04:32 PM

I personally liked the Sunshine Coast more than Tofino, but perhaps the weather was the reason. Even when the coast calls for sunny weather, the west coast on the island can be socked in and cloudy. When we visited, it was 27 degrees c on the east coast of the island, and 16 degrees on the west side.
The sunshine coast is named so for the exact reason, being on the lee side and much sunnier/warmer. Sechelt is lovely and the beaches while mostly gravelly are beautiful. It is still the Pacific though, so will be very cold for swimming.

Search this Thread