Search

Tofino

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Janie Lucas

Tofino

We will be in BC for 9 days ( 3 kids 10, 13 16) We are spending the 1st three in Vancouver, the next two in Victoria, we were then going to go back to the mainland and go up to Whislter for 2 days and return to Vancouver for the last 2 days (we do have family in Vancouver). Question: Should we rejig our trip to travel over to Tofino??? I hear it is beautiful but realize that we can't see everything our first time out there. I hear that the ride is also beautiful but don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time in the car if we are only able to stay in Tofino for one night. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:21 PM
gary

Unless your kids are really into beachcombing and the like I'm pretty sure that Whistler will be much more enjoyable for them. There's so much more to do - hicking, canoing, horsebackriding, mountain biking, etc. combined with a terrific assortmant of family restaurants and upscale shopping. And it is beautiful as well although of course totally different from Tofino. <BR><BR> I suggest that from Vancouver you go to Whistler for two days then head back down #99 to Horseshoe Bay where you can catch a ferry to Nanaimo and from there it's about a 1 1/2 hour drive to Victoria. Then return from Swartz Bay via the ferry to Vancouver.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:41 PM
canuck

If I were you, I would do:<BR>1 or 2 nights-Vancouver<BR>1 night- Victoria<BR>3 or 4 nights-Tofino<BR>3 nights-Vancouver(visiting family). Personally I think Tofino is a unique and special place in the world- , can catch crabs and cook them, beachcomb, go fishing, hike, and the town is funky.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:31 PM
kathy

Staying in Tofino middle of September. What should we do? Would it be worth our while to go out on a charter fishing? Where to eat reasonable? Any beaches to swim in that time of year? Any information appreciated.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:57 PM
Robyn

The Pacific Ocean on the entire west coast of Vancouver Island is cold year round - you could swim in it, maybe wade in it, but the beaches along Tofino are for beachcombing, kayaking or surfing (with a wetsuit on) moreso than actual swimming. There are other beaches on the east coast of Vancouver which are much wamer. Vancouver also has some good swimming beaches (the warmest is actually in Tsawwassen, south of Vancouver, at Centennial Beach).<BR><BR>But about Tofino: I remember my Dad and my sister going for a swim in August of 93... they said it was freezing. <BR><BR>Be sure to take the time to explore the <BR>trails through the rain forest. The trees look like nothing from the side of the road, but they're magical once you step inside.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:16 PM
jan

Swimming around Tofino at Long Beach is out of this world. Cool for the first minute but once your in,Awesome!!! <BR>My personal paradise.<BR>Have Fun<BR>Jan