Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to spend 2 extra days near Vancouver?

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:12 PM
MTM

Turning to you for help for my sister, as this Board has a lot of wisdom to share!

She'll be in the Vancouver area for a couple of days before leaving on an Alaskan cruise w/her two children & husband. (They caught Vancouver one other time while visiting Victoria.) Arriving late Wed - leaving on the boat, Saturday noon.

Not sure where to spend her couple of days/nights...
Trying to decide between a couple of nights along the Sunshine Coast, the drive to Whistler (w/a stay there), or a visit to a Gulf Island, like Salt Spring.

What would you recommend?
What do you think would work best w/this time frame?

(I'm a big fan of the islands, but think she might need more time than this for getting the true 'feel' of them.) I've never been to the Sunshine Coast or Whistler...got to Shannon Falls, once though.

Thanks for any help you can lend!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Rebecca

My vote would be Whistler. It is not too far away and the drive is beautiful. Whistler is a wonderful little place - world class. The scenery is great. You can shop, bike, kayak, walk, take the gondola to the top of the mountain and just plain relax. My only warning - it is a little pricey.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:20 PM
MTM

Thanks, Rebecca!

I was wondering how the Sunshine Coast compares to the Sea-to-Sky Highway to Whistler...
sounds like quite well.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Rebecca

It has been a few years since we did the Sunshine Coast. You have to take the ferry to get there. It costs approximately $100.00 to take your vehicle. The Sunshine Coast is scenic also. I personally found there was less to do there. Whistler is more of a vacation destination.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:07 PM
gary

I'm not sure why your sister doesn't want to spend more time in vancouver unless she didn't rally like it the first time, (in which case she should give it a second chance), but assuming this is not an option you have basically presented a clear cut choice between two very rustic, laid back places, (Sunshine Coast and Gulf Islands), and a world class resort with all that implies - Whistler.

I would choose whistler but you know that's why there's chocolate and Vanilla.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:50 PM
mtm

No, my sister & her family really enjoyed Vancouver, but it was only a couple of years ago, that they were there. And, they had a decent amount of time dedicated there last time.

So, now, they'd like to sample something in the near vicinity, that also reveals even more of B.C.'s natural beauty. I'll forward your recommendations to her for Whistler.

Anybody else out there want to weigh in?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:17 PM
STUART

It's not a long ferry ride to Vancouver Island and then a short crossover to the Pacific side for a ride up to Tofino. Along the way a visit to a temperate rain forest, sitka spruce forest and miles of deserted beachline to walk and explore. Tofino has some very good resteraunts and places to stay long the coastline.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:55 AM
nevil

Tofino for sure. UNREAL.