August at Cape Breton ?

Search

August at Cape Breton ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August at Cape Breton ?

I have moved off of the June dates and am now looking at the second week in August for our trip to Cape Breton. Is the weather still mild during this time....how is the fog?
It appears that music events and festivals are still going on from the site that was given on someone's previous postings. So...guess this is still considered tourist season here?
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 06:54 AM

I'd definitely pick August over June for Cape Breton. The weather is lovely and there's lots going on. The only downside would be the potential to encounter crowds at the beaches or historic sites.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Are the Ceilidh's held pretty much on the weekends...or anytime, even during the week. We definitely want to experience at least one of these. If we decide to try for the August period and pick mid of the month we might get to the Judique on the Floor. Is this worth taking part in? I think it is Aug 12-15. If we stay in Mabou is that close enough?
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM

Ceilidh's are generally a weekend event although in tourist season, there might be some on a weeknight.

I've not attended Judique on the Floor but there's certainly a lot of talented musicians out of Judique. Mabou, as well, is known as a notable area for traditional music.

The distance between Mabou and Judique on the map might not seem overly long but the roads are narrow and twisty and you'll likely want to stay late into the evening to hear all the music. I'd stay in or quite nearby Judique if you want to take in evening ceilidhs rather than deal with dark rural roads.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that observation. What is this area like OTHER than the music? Would I want to spend a couple of nights here. Getting ready to book today for the airline. Thinking we will be in NS from Aug 12-19.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 03:31 PM

Unless there's a number of events from the festival you want to take in, I'd say one day/night in Judique and move on to the Highlands (I think you were indicating this as part of your plan in another post) for the next night.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Anyone out there have a suggestion on some good places to stay for an overnight in Judique? We will probably do our first overnight in Halifax on Thurs...just tool around a bit since we are arriving before 3:00....then leave for Judique Friday morning and spend the night there. I will try to find out what the schedule is for the "Floor" event...hopefully get to catch some music on that Friday evening. OR...should we just do the drive up to there on Thurs...how long a distance.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 03:25 AM

Folks, I live in the area , so let me try to help. Anytime in July or August is a good time to visit, the 2 weeks of July generally the busiest but that is when the BIG festivals are on too.
Music, it goes like this ; every area basically has it's night or day .
The Red SHoe pub in Mabou and the Glenora Distillery a few miles North have music every day and evening . Wednesday night is Margaree; Thursday night is Inverness and Cheticamp; Friday night is SW margaree; Saturday afternoon is Cheticamp; Saturday night is West Mabou. Sunday is Judique for concerts but they too have daily short sessions in July and August . They also have an annual festival .

If you arrive in Halifax at 3 pm and get on the road by 4 pm you can be on Cape Breton island near Judique or even Mabou within 3 hours , 3 1/2 max. Your best would be on the Saturday to be at the Doryman Tavern in Cheticamp from 2-6 pm.