Nova Scotia Itinerary Help

Jul 1st, 2018, 04:50 PM
BKD
Original Poster

Nova Scotia Itinerary Help

Going to NS Aug 3-10. Need suggestions.

Aug 3-4 Two nights in Halifax
Aug 5 drive down to Lunenburg stay a few hours then drive to Wolfville to spend night.
Aug 6- drive to Mabou stay at Glenora Inn (booked whiskey package)
Aug 7- ????
Aug 8- Cabot Links (booked)
Aug 9- ???
Aug 10- 3:45 pm flight from Sydney to Toronto

Anyone have suggestions for where to go on the 7th and 9th? Should we blow off Wolfville and go farther toward Cape Breton? We go to California wine country often so not that interested in seeing more wineries. Should we spend the night in Sydney or are there other better places not far from the Sydney airport (an hour or two at most)? Really prefer not to pack and unpack but at Glenora wed still have to change rooms and Cabot links is a golf resort and my wife is not a golfer. Probably cannot avoid the moving around.

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!
Jul 2nd, 2018, 02:12 PM

Well it's obvious that one of the two days should be used to circle the Cabot Trail.

And I sure wish that the other free day was earlier in your time frame.

Have you been to the area before????

I was just driving by Cabot Links a month ago, on a chilly and VERY windy day, and a few people were out there playing, but the winds wrecked most anything resembling a true round of golf. (We saw snow flurries up in the hills later on the same June day)

Although the drive from Wolfville to Mabou is 4 1/2 hours, I would still do everything in my power on August 6 to visit Burntcoat Head near to 2:45pm low tide where you'll be able to walk on the ocean floor 80-100 meters out from shore.

Allow 1 hr. 20 min. from Wolfville to Burntcoat Head Park... and then expect about 3 hr. 45 minutes to Mabou from there.

IF you were able to move your Aug. 6 Mabou booking back one night then I would wholly endorse going to spend a night at the Cape D'or Lighthouse on the night of August 6, and then doing Mabou on August 7.

The final approach to Cape D'or lighthouse entails a 5km dirt road to a parking lot, where you leave your car, and then walk down a 1/4 mile dirt hill toward the lighthouse below, where you stay in guest quarters in a nearby building. Another building there is the restaurant.

In cases of people who simply could not navigate the 1/4-mile dirt hill on their own, I imagine that the proprietor, "Darcy", would at least offer a ride back up the steep incline to overnight guests.

Another option (though more distant) for an extra day in the area, is Hopewell Cape, NB.

But the timing of your committed days is not conducive to either of those options.

Those having never visited the area in the past should certainly make efforts to see Hopewell Cape at low tide, for perhaps the very best impression of what goes on in the Bay of Fundy. (Burntcoat Head Park is similarly capable of at least giving strong hints as to the power of the Fundy tides)

I hope this helps in some small way. (make Burntcoat Head a priority)
Jul 2nd, 2018, 04:50 PM
BKD
Original Poster

Thanks for responding. We have never been to the area (obviously) so I am very appreciative of your guidance. I did move Mabou to the 7th leaving two days together that are not committed. I’ll look into Burntcoat and staying at the lighthouse. Should we skip Wolfville entirely?
Jul 3rd, 2018, 09:12 PM

... as there is nothing much in the immediate area of Burntcoat Head Park for lodging, you've gotta stay SOMEwhere, so Wolfville is in the running that way.

Were it me, beginning with your time in Lunenburg, I think I would select Annapolis Royal for the night, even though it might add 1 1/2 hours to your eventual path.

Annapolis Royal is a cute little town not overrun by anything, and I stayed there for a night about 4 weeks ago.

SO IF one awoke one day in Annapolis Royal with designs on driving all of the way to Cape D'Or lighthouse with a visit to Burntcoat Head Park in the middle... it would entail 5 1/2 hours of driiiiiiiiving time.

After 2 1/2 hours you'd reach Burntcoat Head.

IF still on the 6th... you'd be targeting the general area near to 2:45pm for Burntcoat... and that would allow a leisurely breakfast and a look around Annapolis Royal before departing from there at about noon.

There isn't tooooooooooo much to do between there and Burntcoat Head, so I anticipate you'd make it in the right range for lowest tide.

Pretend you'd spend an hour there roaming the beach (waaaaaay out there)... and then back in the car, and probably to the Truro area for whatever meal was due... 5pm-ish

Sunset at Cape D'or on August 6 is 8:40pm... and you'd wanna be there by then... (it's a 2-hour drive from Truro, and there ARE places to stop along that path)

(so this is getting dicy)

(alTHOUGH you could jot down ideas on the way TO Cape D'or and then make those stops on the return path the next day, when heading to Mabou)

(I would prefer to return on that same highway, along the Fundy shore, than switch paths and try another route when heading toward Mabou the next day)

(you could ultimately leave Annapolis Royal an hour earlier, and maybe reach Burntcoat Head an hour-ish beFORE the lowest tide... (as long as you have things pointing in the right direction, you would still ultimately BE there at the point of lowest tide... just... ready to pack-up and leave, vs. just arriving then (2:45pm on August 6th) ) )

That would have you in better position time-wise for dining in Truro somewhere and then heading on to Cape D'or lighthouse.

It is never too soon to email the fine folks at Cape D'or Lighthouse to see if there is room at the inn on your chosen night.

They are a CASH-ONLY operation, so bring Canadian currency.

They do offer dinner and breakfast... I was hesitant to 'commit' myself regarding dinner, for my not knowing what was in store upon arrival (or what time I would happen along).

But breakfast was grand, and a cozy and casual atmosphere... and IF I were planning another trip there soon, I would prooooooooooooobably announce my intention to be there for dinner at their restaurant. Though you don't lose anything if the timing just isn't right for you to dine there.

The proprietor, Darcy, is a very nice man with a strong awareness of everything in the area.

I can recall stepping down that final, 1/4-mile dirt road with the evening sky overlooking the lighthouse down below me... and (right there texting my friends to say: "oh, Fundy, you do NOT disappoint", beneath a photo of the view on the way down of the lighthouse and the place where I'd be staying) Of course SKIES that were sunny and clear really enhanced this.

Now it is of course possible that the Cape D'or Lighthouse experience is not for you... but it was by far the most pleasant surprise on my recent trip, while the park at Burntcoat Head was in a waaaaaaaaaaay "expected", but your mind has to LIVE it to really believe it.

I mean, anybody can sit here and TELL YOU that (the rivers in the upper end of the Bay of Fundy turn around and flow UPstream when the tide comes in)... but until your mind LIVES it, it sorta doesn't make sense... LOL

I hope this affords you a bit more detail.
Jul 5th, 2018, 06:35 AM
BKD
Original Poster

Again, thanks for the input. We've decided to skip Wolfville. Annapolis Royal is too far of a drive for us. From Lunenburg we'll be headed directly to Wild Caraway in Advocate Harbour, which will give us a short ride to see the Cape D'Or Lighthouse though not stay there. Then the following day we'll go to the Ocean Floor tour at Burntcoat. Leave there and drive up to Pictou to spend the night before heading to Cape Breton. All done. Plans complete. Your guidance was greatly appreciated!
Jul 5th, 2018, 06:48 PM

OK, well the next great preparation you can do is to PRINT OUT the tide times for various spots during the entire window you'll be in the area:

7 days Tidal Predictions - Tides, Currents, and Water Levels

For nobody has invented an easy way to kill 6 hours between extremes, so IF you are miraculously lucky you can cause it to be convenient to see a certain spot at both high and low tide.

It wouldn't hurt to have a list of times for the Tidal Bore at Truro along with.

http://www.tides.gc.ca/eng/station?t...&tz=ADT&pres=1

Definitely print data for Advocate Harbour, and for Burntcoat Head, and MAYbe a couple of more somewhere.

Also, Pictou is a quaint little place, though I couldn't exactly peg the right spot for spending a night there, but if it had jumped out at me, I'd have stayed a night.
Jul 6th, 2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by NorthwestMale View Post

OK, well the next great preparation you can do is to PRINT OUT the tide times for various spots during the entire window you'll be in the area:

For nobody has invented an easy way to kill 6 hours between extremes, so IF you are miraculously lucky you can cause it to be convenient to see a certain spot at both high and low tide.

It wouldn't hurt to have a list of times for the Tidal Bore at Truro along with.

Definitely print data for Advocate Harbour, and for Burntcoat Head, and MAYbe a couple of more somewhere.

Also, Pictou is a quaint little place, though I couldn't exactly peg the right spot for spending a night there, but if it had jumped out at me, I'd have stayed a night.
Yes! That is totally important...Last time I went I was so unprepared...

Search this Thread