Any market streets in Montreal?

May 6th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Marge

Any market streets in Montreal?

Spending a week in an apt in Montreal this summer. I'm a huge fan of the outdoor markets in Paris and was wondering if there are any or anything similar in Montreal? Thanks for any help.

May 6th, 2002, 06:41 AM
zootsi

There are two large outdoor markets that I know of. The biggest one is at Jean Talon, which is near the Italian and Lebanese neighborhods. There are acres of produce, flowers, meats, cheeses, etc. I don't know what days it is open, but weekend mornings for sure. There is also a large market near Atwater. Both markets are acessable on the Metro.There is also a smaller market on Ontario, a few blocks east of St. Denis, near the gay village. Just remember you are not supposed to bring any live plants back into the US!

May 6th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Daniel Williams

The Jean Talon and Atwater markets are the only two that jump to mind for meOn certain weekends, the city closes various streets as well for open-air markets. Boulevard Saint-Laurent has one in the late spring, early fall (Labor Day weekend); Ste-Catherine Street (Downtown), Mont-Royal Avenue (Plateau) and rue Masson (Rosemont) also have street markets although I find the St. Laurent festival has the best selections; check Montrealscope or one of the alt weeklies when in town to find schedules.

Have a ball!

May 7th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Louis Parent

Atwater Market is more "Parisian" than the Jean-Talon. Be sure to visit the shops inside, specially the "Première Moisson". Also don't miss "Les douceurs du marché".

There is also the Maisonneuve Market in the East End (Olympic Statdium area)

Jun 17th, 2002, 08:50 AM
cindy

Is parking (on the street) at all possible at either of these area on a Saturday morning?

Jun 17th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Louis

Cindy:
There is ample 90-minute free parking at Atwater Market. (Parking lot is across the street).

Jun 17th, 2002, 12:40 PM
tutu

Marje, just returned from Montreal - parking for Jean Talon market - free on street for 1 hour and on site paid parking. Also, wonderful breakfast at Petit Alep on J-Talon St.