Reload this Page >

Anniversary dinner - Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Allie

We're looking at the following restaurants for a special occasion dinner. Wondering if some of you locals or frequent visitors could rate the restaurants based on your experiences or give us your top choices.<BR><BR>Good food is a top priority. We a good wine list, but often have trouble because we prefer wines by the glass (so we can try more than one). Looking for somewhere elegant, not stuffy, view would be nice, but not necessary.<BR><BR>Lumiere<BR>Bishops<BR>Chartwell< BR>Provence<BR>C Restaurant<BR>The Observatory<BR>Raincity Grill<BR><BR>Thanks for your replies!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Daniel

If wine by the glass is what you're looking for, the Raincity Grill has probably the best selection in the city. <BR><BR>Lumiere is likely the best restaurant (and by far the most expensive) on your list. Of your other choices, you won't go wrong with C, the Raincity Grill or Bishops, although the atmosphere at Bishops is a little bland (not the food though).

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Coco

Can recommend both of these restaurants: "Diva at the Met" and "The Fish House" in Stanley Park. Both excellent.<BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:08 AM
rita

Allie, on your list I have dined at Bishops, Lumier, C, Raincity Grill, and Provence. I offer the following notes, hopefully they will help you to make a decision.<BR><BR>Lumier: unlike allot of people I know I found Lumier to be way over the top. It seemed to be more about a university course in food and food combinations than in relaxed dining. Every menue item was accompanied by a dialogue on what I was eating, where it came from, and how it was cooked. I found this interuption to be annoying as often the waiter would stand at the end of the table until all conversation stopped and then would launch into the dialogue. I found the continual interuption rude. When I left my pallet was satisfied but my brain hurt. Lumier is also located on a street without a view so if you are looking for ambience outside of the room I would not recommend it.<BR><BR>Bishops: this has to be one of my favorite restaurants in Vancouver. The food and wine are excellent and the dining room intimate with professional wait staff. The menu is similar to Lumier but I find it allot less pretentious. Like Lumier, Bishops is located on a non descript street so the view is better inside the restaurant.<BR><BR>C Restaurant: has a great location (make sure you ask for a window table) with a nice view into the harbour and Granville Island. The food is excellent (asian inspired seafood) but the ambience inside the restaurant is not near to that of Bishops or Lumier.<BR><BR>Provence: again a good view onto False Creek and the food is good (not outstanding) but it is fairly casual (families and people in shorts). Not a restaurant for a "memorable" night out.<BR><BR>Raincity Grill: this restaurant has a great view looking out onto English Harbour. The food is on the upside of good and the ambience is upscale but still casual. I am always happy with the meals I have had there.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 03:12 PM
cindy

I absolutely love Raincity Grill. You can get a table outside if the weather is nice; it's still elegant, but you have a nice view of the beach at English Bay. The food is amazing.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:37 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Had a great meal at Raincity last month. In fact, we choose the tasing menu with matching wines so we were able to taste 5 different BC wines (one small glass with each course). Everything was quite good and we got out of there for less than US$150. And it was very relaxing not having to make any menu or wine decisions.<BR><BR>I wouldn't consider this a grand or fancy restaurant - it's smaller with a touch of a neighborhood feel with professional, but not stuffy, service. Request a window table. There's not a great view, but it's something to look at.