Algonquin Park Lodges

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Algonquin Park Lodges

Could some one give me advise on the two lodges we are considering staying at in Algonquin Park. We were thinking of Killarney Lodge or Bartlett Lodge. Has anyone stayed at these and your opinion.
Which would have less children also for a more quiet stay. Thanks.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 07:57 PM

Joanada: We absolutely love Algonquin. Don't know when you are going, but they have "wolf howls" in August. Quite an expereince!! I suppose you've checked out their website. ANyway, Bartlett Lodge would be my choice first, but both are very nice. As for children, it's a tough call. But I don't think either would be a problem. Give them a call about that.
If you are amenable to staying outside the park, seriously consider Hay Lake Lodge. They have a link on the "accomodations" part of Algonquin's website. We've stayed there twice and loved it. Will probably be going back this fall. It's only about a 10 minute ride to the East Gate and is very quiet. The cabins (only about 8 of them) are far enough apart that noise has never been a problem. The cabins are designed on the rustic side, but are very clean, comfortable, and up to date. No telephones and no TVs. Hay Lake is beautiful, and Erin and Phil are most enjoyable hosts. We stay on the meal plan -substantial continental breakfast and plentiful dinner, and the rates are less expensive than the other two. Wherever you stay I know you'll love the park. Have a great time!!
Old May 15th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Dear Waltd:
Thank you for your information. We did go and stayed at Bartlett Lodge where they boat you in. We absolutely loved it. Food is fantastic and friendly staff. Cabins are lovely , everything has been updated with new owners. Very quiet and your own canoe.
The hikes are wonderful in the park. We are definately going back. It is a 5 hour drive for us but worth it. Thanks again.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:35 AM

Joanada: So very glad you like the Park. It is a wonderful place. The Visitor's Center run by Friends of Algonquin is incredible, isn't it? My wife and I stay outside the Park at Hay Lakew Lodge when we visit (we live in southcentral PA so it takes us a couple of days to get there). But I have heard good things about Bartlett, which I think is better located than Killarney.
The first time we visited about 4 years ago was in August, so we had the opportunity of participating in the Wolf Howl they usually conduct on Thursday nights. There were about 800 cars and when we got to the point in the park where they called for the wolves you could have heard a pin drop! Wolves and Loons -truly calls of the wild!!
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Dear Walt:

Thanks for replying back. Just to let you know, Killarney is nice, but it is right on the highway and you hear the traffic and the lake is not as enjoyable as Cashe where Bartlett is. If you make it up there again try to stay at Bartlett, they are on the website. Ask for Springice or Summerday cabin, they are the new ones at the end, if it is just the two of you. Towards the end of Sept. would be beauitul with the trees turned and quieter. You were lucky , only 800 cars, I have heard up to 2,000. But it would be worth it! Hope you make it back, enjoy!!!! joanie