Mt. Rainier Lodging

Apr 19th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Mt. Rainier Lodging

Planning on spending 2 nights at Mt. Rainier in August. Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of Paradise Inn, National Park Inn (Longmire) and Alta Crystal Resort (just outside the NE entrance). Can't decide which is the best choice just based on websites and tour books.

Thanks.
Apr 19th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Don't know about the Alta Crystal Resort.
Have stayed at Longmire and have friends who have stayed at Paradise. Lodging inside the park is highly desirable. It is closer to the ranger walks, trails and views. Sometimes there is a long line of cars at the entrance to the park. Both Paradise and Longmire are fairly rustic national park lodges, perfect for the purpose. I don't recall having a tv in my room, but who needs a tv when you are in one of the most beautiful locations on this planet? The August sun sets late, and you will only use your room for sleeping. Paradise is in a more desireable location, at the Timberline, with incredible views, and has always been full when we've inquired, which is why we've stayed at Longmire. I'd jump on the chance to stay at Paradise. They don't call it Paradise for nothing. Longmire is a fine second choice.
Apr 19th, 2005, 04:56 PM

I agree with the previous reply. Our stay at the Paradise Lodge was "out of this world". We were lucky enough to catch a sunny day for the Skyline Trail hike . Absolutely awesome! Also you will meet some fascinating travelers at the lodge, including some who may be on their way up to the summit. Have fun.
Apr 19th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Another vote for Paradise Lodge. I loved my stay there and suggest you get reservations ASAP--August is high season. The restaurant was very nice too and the good surprisingly good for a state park.

Have a great trip.
Apr 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM

I have stayed at National Park Inn and liked it very much also - although I would have preferred to stay at Paradise because of access to the mountain- however we did enjoy our stay at Longmire
Dont know about the Alta Crystal Resort-
Enjoy- its a spectacular place to visit.

I have friends who have stayed at Sunshine and enjoyed that also but said they still preferred Paradise