Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Paradise Inn vs National Park Inn, Mt Ranier?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to book 2 nights in early or mid September. Availability is, of course, somewhat limited. My first preference was Labor Day weekend, at Paradise Inn I could get a room without private bath...nope, I can't go for that. So they said I could get a room at the National Park Inn. Alternatively, if I go later (Sept 17), I can get a room with 2 single beds and a private bath at Paradise.

Has anybody stayed at both of these, and can compare? I can't seem to find much of anything about the National Park Inn, is it nice? I'm not sure if a room with 2 single beds at the Paradise is going to be smaller than a room with a queen, or not? They won't tell me if the room has any sort of a view (in fact gave me quite the roundabout answer when I asked "Well, you can see something from all our rooms". I guess that's a good thing...)

Anybody have any feedback or thoughts? thanks!
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 11:43 AM
hpl

I've not stayed at the National Park Inn but have been to Paradise twice and will go back again (numerous times I'm sure). National Park Inn is part way up the mountain so, to me, it feels like it's not quite there yet. It does look very nice from the outside however. Paradise feels like it's on top of the world.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks hpl. what are the rooms like at Paradise? Since you have been there more than once, did you stay in the same type of room both times? or am I completely missing the point, and the ambiance has nothing to do with the room, or its view?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:55 PM

China_Cat,

We stayed at Paradise Lodge a few years ago and loved the ambiance of the whole lodge. Yes, our room was rather basic and small, and no, we didn't have a view of "the mountain."

However, IMHO, as you already asked, I think you may be missing the point of staying there. Even though the mountain was completely cloud covered for our first two days there, we still felt as if we were on top of the world.

When we awoke the third day to bright blue skies, I ran to the front of the lodge and stared straight up because "the mountain had come out" as they say. Personally, there was no way I stayed inside any longer than necessary because one just wants to be outside when you can see the view.

Perhaps it has changed, but we were also quite satisfied with the food served at the lodge. We figured with a captive audience, that it might be over-priced and mediocore, but were pleasantly surprised with the quality.

Enjoy all of Paradise Lodge and especially the fabulous setting.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:21 PM

We have stayed at Longmire, which is the National Park Inn. We have not stayed in the rooms at Paradise Lodge, but have friends who have. Longmire is fairly rustic, like Paradise Lodge, but is less booked, which is how we've ended up there twice. I think there are more larger rooms at Longmire.

Longmire is part way down the mountain but it is within the park and an easy drive to Paradise Lodge. (It is good to stay in the park at busy times as the entry lines can get long on the outside.) Longmire has its own little trails. Some of the nice trails and ranger led walks are midway between the two lodges.

So, while Paradise Lodge is better located, around or above the timber line with an incredible view, Longmire is not in a shabby location either, and, as stated before, you won't spend that much time in your room anyway.

I'd ask about the weather before making reservations. Longmire is considerably below Paradise Lodge and trails are open there when Paradise is snowed in. I wouldn't be surprised if you're not getting close to snowy weather towards the middle of September, and, while the snow is pretty, it's nice to be able to just step out and hike.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:41 AM
hpl

The rooms at Paradise are certainly rustic. The first time, we had a room on a lower flower and had a "view" of the hillside. We moved after one night to an upstairs room with a wonderful view down the mountain side. Rustic, simple, but comfortable. The meals were not as good the second time around but that was partly a factor of service.