Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kootenay Park Lodge or Radium Hot Springs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:19 PM
MJ

Any recommendations/prior stays at either? Lots of places to stay in RHS, but not sure whether that area is preferable over the Park Lodge area (Vermilion Crossing)? <BR><BR>We're not golfers, so that's not a factor for us. Probably won't use the Hot Springs, either...just wanting to see Kootenay National Park & needing an overnight spot to stay. <BR><BR>Not even sure whether to devote a day to this area, as time is limited, & there are so few comments about this region on this Board.<BR><BR>Would appreciate some guidance. Thanks. <BR><BR> <BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:23 PM
rp

hi, we stayed at the kootenay park lodge & it was absolutely terrible. i just checked their website & it is the one & the same one we barely endured. the cabin was filthy dirty, cigarretes butted into stale beer glass & the bed had a "not made" look to it. oh my. we were stuck there for our tenth anniversary (one to remember that is for sure!!). oh my oh my. the food at their "lodge" was abysmal. there are multiple other places to stay. i would suggest the delta at kananaskis (more expensive & it is about twenty miles south of the kootenay lodge). kootenay park lodge is enormous ~ and after our experience, would check out radium. will you be mostly driving? doing any walking/hiking? are you enroute through or is it a separate destination?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:23 PM
rp

hi, we stayed at the kootenay park lodge & it was absolutely terrible. i just checked their website & it is the one & the same one we barely endured. the cabin was filthy dirty, cigarretes butted into stale beer glass & the bed had a "not made" look to it. oh my. we were stuck there for our tenth anniversary (one to remember that is for sure!!). oh my oh my. the food at their "lodge" was abysmal. there are multiple other places to stay. i would suggest the delta at kananaskis (more expensive & it is about twenty miles south of the kootenay lodge). kootenay park lodge is enormous ~ and after our experience, would check out radium. will you be mostly driving? doing any walking/hiking? are you enroute through or is it a separate destination?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:27 PM
rp

oops. didn't mean to send that response twice. plus, a mis-type: kootenay national park is v. large -- the lodge consists of a main hotel & ten "rustic" cabins scattered around (rustic = shabby run down & dirty). the area is spectacular scenery.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:48 AM
mj

Thanks *so* much for responding!!<BR>I've been hoping for weeks to get somebody's 'review(s)' regarding this lodge, as well, as others nearby. (posted before w/zero response)<BR><BR>Seems few have been to Kootenay Nat'l Park even...or, at least, never stayed w/in it, or near the gate. <BR><BR>I was confused there for a 'sec' when you said the Lodge was huge...began to wonder if we were talking about the same place or not, since I read it only had 10 cabins. Thanks for clarifying that, too. <BR><BR>I'm so happy to have some guidance now. May the travel 'gods' bless you! ;-) <BR><BR>Anybody else out there want to join in, too, regarding lodging in Kootenay Nat'l Park or close by? <BR><BR>Thanks again to RP...<BR>sorry that happened on your 10th!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Stuart

Surprised to hear about the bad report about Kootenay Park Lodge. I used to work there and it was a great place. It is under new management since I worked there and obviously things have gone down hill.<BR><BR>I would suggest Castle Mountain Village. If you are not golfers or hot pool types, Radium has little else to offer. Spend time in Kootenay park; it is beautiful!