Reload this Page >

Secluded luxury cabins or lodge in the Black Hills

Notices

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a secluded high quality inn, cabin or lodge in the Black Hills? We are adults who will be spending most of our time hiking and sightseeing in the area. We would like a quiet accomodation.

Thank you.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Last September I stayed at the Blue Bell Lodge. I picked it because it seemed like the nicest of the four accommodation options within Custer State Park. I was very happy with the place. All of the guest rooms are individual cabins. I stayed in a housekeeping cabin, and, while it wasn't luxurious per se, it was very cozy and nicely decorated, with good working heat, a nice couch, a TV (!), telephone service, and decent kitchen appliances. I would rate it far above average in terms of comfort, relative to other official in-park cabins I've stayed in. I'm not sure I'd call it secluded, because there are other cabins that you can see from yours. But at least you get your own cabin. The restaurant was pretty good too, for what it was.

Here's a link to the four lodging options in Custer State Park: http://www.custerresorts.com/about/overview/
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestion. I did not see much of anything on TA or Fodors for the area. You have been helpful.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Search lodging at BlackHillsbadlands.com - there are numerous lodging options. I would also recommend Blue Bell Lodge for the area - lodging near Hill City or Keystone would be more centrally located in the Hills; Custer also not bad for the wildlife loop, caving, etc. We were just there last Labor Day - would be glad to help if you have further questions. Sylvan Lake is also a nice area, and I believe lodging is available there (cabins?) as well, although restaurants are located in the small towns about 15 miles away.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 08:30 PM

There is indeed a lodge at Sylvan Lake, which offers both rooms in the lodge, and cabins. I have read that it is quite nice over there. I planned to have breakfast there and take a walk by the Lake on my way out of the park, but I was running behind schedule and I missed it.

I personally would stay far away from Keystone if I could help it. I drove through there on my way to Mount Rushmore. Wow, what an awful, overcrowded, schlocky tourist trap of a town.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions and insights. I appreciate the help.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 09:00 AM

There is a beautiful cabin at Double Diamond Ranch near Hill City (which is also a five minute drive from Mt. Rushmore) that sleeps 11 people. It would also be perfect for a romantic getaway for 2--very quiet and peaceful. When you call ask for the Cadillac Cabin--it is PERFECT!!!!!!
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Lovebug. On the website it shows a DD cabin but nothing about a Cadillac cabin. Are they the same unit?
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

After reading the description closely I see it is the same unit. As Emily Litella would say...never mind.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Call and talk to LeAnne she will be a great help. Yes, the DD cabin is the same. I forgot that...sorry! I forgot to mention the outdoor hot tub is awesome as well!
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lovebug!