XPT Train - Sydney to Melbourne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering taking this train down to Melbourne in November. We love train rides. What can we expect? We do see that it is a day train. I've read other posts about the boring train rides up from Brisbane down to Sydney, but how is this particular route?
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 01:55 PM

It's very dull. Mostly passing through fairly uniform farmed country and a little bit of bush. There are no spectacular sights. Its best recommendation is that it's more comfortable than the bus.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 02:14 PM

For various reasons this service also runs late most days - can be an hour or more - so it would be best not to plan too tight a schedule for when you arrive in Melbourne.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Really just taking it for the adventure, with our daughter who is in Australia now on a foreign study exchange. For additional $20 pp, we can upgrade to first class seating - is it worth it?
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:10 PM

You may not feel like driving, but that would be a much better adventure than taking the train. As discussed several times on this forum, there are many route options between Sydney and Melbourne that will provide an excellent mix of coastal, mountain and inland scenery.

But if you love train rides (particularly slow ones), go for it. I don't know what the extra $20 gets you, sorry, but it's not much, so I'd be inclined to pay it.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM

I would also go first class if I could get it for just that small amount extra. I LOVE trains and travelled all over India and Europe, sleeping soundly every single night; however, I travelled economy class from melbourne to Sydney on that same train about three years ago, and, honestly, I never had such an uncomfortable night on a train in all my life. The seats are obviosly designed by someone who has never actually seen a human body, so that, as a result, they protrude right at the points where they should conform. The first class seats are bound to be better.... surely!!!???

And, yes, the train ran forty-five minutes late.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Well, actually just found out husband booked already regular coach seats (can't imagine they are any worse than our Amtrak coach class seats). It's an adventure after all! This isn't an overnight train so sleeping accommodations not necessary, for us anyways.

Also, regular Ozz-ites, I would appreciate your help on recommending a Melbourne (Mel-bun - I do have trouble pronouncing that one ... speaking of pronounciations hotel on the other end of the train trip. Likely it will be into Melbourne early evening or even later and perhaps an overnight stay close by to view the city in the morning might be a good plan. Daughter's boyfriend is in Geelong and I know that's quite a distance out of Melbourne so it might be nice to head there the next day after a little sightseeing.

Sorry to deviate off the original question and let me know if I should make a new post for this purpose.

Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 02:12 AM

Geelong is only an hour away from Melbourne by train, and the trains run at almost suburban intervals. As ragards hotels in Melbourne, there are lots...and at different price ranges. What did you have in mind?
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Since we arrive likely 7 p.m. or later, thought it would be nice to stay in the CBD for the night and look around in the morning, perhaps having a nice brunch or lunch nearby before heading to Geelong on the train later in the day.

Daughter and boyfriend stayed at Grand Chancellor a few weeks ago to see "Lion King" and enjoyed it, but reviews on tripadvisor.com are not great.

At least a 3 star would be nice, close to any sights within walking distance and yet reasonably close to the train station(s).

Thanks.