Sydney to Melbourne via Train

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney to Melbourne via Train

Anyone take the train from SYD to Mel as a different means of seeing some of Australia? Is it worth it over flying and driving? What do you really get to see for scenery?
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:09 PM

Brazoo, consider that the train ride takes about 11 hours. Consider also that the railway connects Sydney and Melbourne via an inland route. I have heard (but don't know for sure) that that inland route is less scenic than the superb coastal route. (I have done the coastal route, so can attest to its beauty.)

Given that you have 5 days for Sydney and 4 days for Melbourne (based on what you said in another post), I would not take up 11 hours with that train ride if I were you. It'll be all you can do to do justice to Sydney and area in 5 days and to Melbourne and area in 4 days.

If you stick with your plan of going to Melbourne in September, I recommend flying there from Sydney.

For what it's worth.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 10:28 PM

brazoo, I've never taken the train and doubt that I ever will, but my strong inclination is to agree with Judy. If you want to see scenery and you have the time (2 days, preferably more) drive the coast route or some variation thereof - but not the most direct Hume Highway route, which is as dull as dishwater unless you really get off on highways, gum trees and grassland. If you don't have the time, fly and make the most of the two cities.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:17 PM

Well, I have done the train trip, and I agree with the others - it's particularly boring, unless you are right into assorted fields. If you have limited time, I wouldn't even consider it - and I'm a bit of a train nut!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 09:16 PM

Margo Oz is correct take her advise & fly.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

We are now flying - Thanks everyone. I see JetStar from Quantas is like $69 from Sydney to Melbourne so that is what we are planning.