Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Worth driving from Cairns to Townsville?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Is it worth a drive trip from Cairns to Townsville? What are the recommended things to see along the way?

We're thinking of flying to Cairns from Sydney to snorkel the GBR and hike in Daintree and Cape Tribulation. And then do a day drive trip down the coast from Cairns to Townsvlle and fly from Townsville back to Sydney.

Is it worth the time and money for that drive? Probably a surchage for a one-way drop off of the rental car.

We have about 5 to 6 days total in the area.

Thanks!
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 07:21 PM

My experience of this drive is old, but seeing no other takers, here goes. It was about 20 years ago.

Innisfail is a place to stop for coffee, google the visitor centre for current info.

There was a short drive off the main highway into Mission Beach. We saw cassowarys on the side of the road (disclaimer 20 years ago). It's a lovely palm fringed beach, and had a great restaurant, which will have undoubtedly changed even if I could remember the name.

I recall Cardwell as being attractive, a stopping off point for Hinchinbrook Island, things will have changed. There was some spectacular mountain, rainforest, ocean scenery along the way.

Have a look at the local tourist information site for each town - google is good.

The drive should be easy, but time of year will impact, when are you visiting ?

Can't help with the rental car question, again Google might help.

Hope some with more recent experience chime in, happy planning.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 06:37 PM

We've done this trip several times - here's some good places to visit.
Paronella Park between Innisfail and Mission Beach is well worth visiting. The Boulders about 60 km south of Cairns (turn off at Babinda) is as nice as Mossman Gorge and easier to visit. Mission Beach is a lovely little town with a beautiful beach. Cardwell was badly hit by a cyclone a year or two ago, and may still be recovering. Tully Gorge is worth a slight detour.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for your response. So it looks like Townsville may not be too bad to fly out of.

Another question if you've done it: how about the drive from Canberra to Sydney? Is it scenic?

Which drive is better: Cairns to Townsville or Canberra to Sydney?

I know it's a strange question. Reason is we're trying to use our miles to book flights and we couldn't get a ticket too fly from Cairns to Sydney. Only options are: Townsville to Sydney or Cairns to Canberra.

Debating which one to take or none and just shell out money for the pretty steep airfare. Anyone know of a way to buy a discount air ticket in Australia? Or what you see on websites are pretty much it?

Thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 05:39 PM

Canberra - Sydney is dual highway and a bit dull. If it's scenery you're looking for Cairns - Townsville much better option IMO.

I just left a reply on JC98's thread about airfares (for some reason it doesn't say "1 response", but it is there)
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 07:54 PM

I've done Cairns-Townsville four times and Canberra-Sydney on numerous occasions (used to live in the ACT).

Cairns-Townsville is a great stretch as long as you have the time to detour to see the sights . Besides those already mentioned, we loved Wallaman Falls and the beautiful Atherton Tablelands. You could easily spend 2-3 days for the trip.

From Sydney to Canberra, there is no law that says you have to take the main hwy the whole way. There are some beautiful spots to stop along the way especially in the Southern Highlands, with quaint towns and impressive lookouts into deep gorges. We often drove to Canberra via the South Coast cutting inland through the highlands to pick up the main highway half way home.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 08:12 PM

Fair enough RalphR.
A route cutting straight across to the coast from Canberra to Narooma, then north along the coast to Sydney is also very pretty if you have time OP.
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, all, for your input!

sartoric, yes, I found Tiger Air to be the cheapest. For the dates I want to go, it's still quite expensive, like $175 to $250 one way, plus credit card fee of $8.50 per ticket. Prices keep on going up. Just lost some lower airfares yesterday.

I'll check Skyscanner too.

RalphR, I asked some questions about GBR boat that you took on your Queensland trip report. Could you please respond.

Thank you, all, for your help!