Drive Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive Question

Australian’s in the know…………………
How practical this?
Drive from Sydney to Cairns, would a week be enough time? We live in the western usa, so we are use to driving long distances.
Or would it be smarter to drive from Sydney to Brisbane then fly to Cairns?
Best jump off point to Alice Springs (I know) but a couple in group want to go there.

Thanks again for the advice given so far its been a major help, and has made us really think about what we can and can't get in. jh
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:54 PM

I would think a week would be insufficient (unless you are pushed for time) as it is a coastal route, I presume you would go via Brisbane, with much to see on the way.
Having said that I haven't driven from Rockhampton to Cairns so others will inform you of that aspect, but from Sydney to Brisbane there are many coastal towns until the Gold Coast (worth a couple of nights) then from Brisbane there is Noosa and the Sunshine Coast, Hervey Bay etc. Not to mention the hinterland. The roads may not be as fast as you are used to so take that into consideration. The trip is a long one approx. 2,600 kms. and I would suggest yo go to www.mynrma.com.au and use their trip planner for details.
Your plan B is of course an option and probably the way most travellers would go. It depends on your time and how much of Australia you want to see.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:23 PM

JoanneH,
the only reason I can think of for driving from Sydney to Cairns in a week is to have the car there at the end of the trip.

The highway is not like one of your interstates (much slower) and even if it was, do you like the insides of a car that much?
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:50 PM
DJE

JoanneH,

We have a trip coming up and were planning to do the same drive only starting in Cairns and heading south, however after advice from people here on Fodor's we have opted to fly between Brisbane and Cairns and just do the Brisbane to Sydney portion by car.
Might be worth considering for your trip as well, as I was told that the route between Brisbane and Cairns is really not that interesting, so this other option might be a better use of your time.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:54 PM

I don't think it would be a good idea -Saltuarius is right. You would see only the road, and be exhausted at the end of each day.
We do not have extensive freeways as you have throughout the USA, indeed, parts of the Pacific Highway Sydney to Brisbane are still only one lane each way! Probably the same north of the border too - the situation is improving, but there are no places where you can hurtle along at 90miles per hour, as is done in western USA.
Less is more!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thats why I love this list keeps one from making a total A\fool of oneself. Thanks
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:43 PM

The drive is easily done in a week, but as others have said, it doesnt make much sense using up valuable vacation time for it. The best attractions en route are detours off the main road and this takes significant extra time. Only in a very few places do you actually see the ocean en route...it's not like the Great Ocean Road or the California coast road the whole way, by any means.

I've driven the entire Australian east coast in bits and pieces over the years, some sections multiple times. As far as which sections offer the most in terms of worthwhile detours, I would say definitely Cairns-Townsville and Sunshine Coast-Byron Bay (southern Queensland - northern New South Wales). The least exciting section was Mackay to Rockhampton.