Wine, Barossa Valley, Adelaide...

Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Wine, Barossa Valley, Adelaide...

We're staying in Adelaide for a couple of days before we shift over to a B&B in McLaren Vale. We were wondering if anyone could suggest a private driver or tour that we could take for a day into Barossa Valley from Adelaide.

We're somewhat wine knowledgeable and will be doing quite a bit of research in the next few weeks before leaving the states so we're really hoping to find someone that would be willing to work with us on itinerary, hitting the wineries we're interested in and also suggesting others that would compliment the types of wines we're interested in.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:30 PM

Having grown up in Tanunda (lived there for 10 years) I would suggest this chap. I don't know him, but it does seem as if he concentrates more on the wineries and not a whole lot of tourist stuff. He lives in Tanunda so I am sure he would be a great authority on the area as all Barossa or ex Barossaites are! Make sure he includes Maggie Beers farm on his itinerary, not a winery, but great for local produce.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:44 PM

oops! forgot to paste
http://www.barossavalleytours.com/
Nov 5th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

I found his website a couple of weeks ago and was going to email him.

It's just hard when you've never been somewhere to know who's really good!

Thanks!
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:21 AM

Greetings Mr Mark

We just returned from 5 weeks in Australia. We spent a week in Adelaide and took a 2 day private wine tour from a gentleman that we used 2 years ago.

We highly recommend Jospeh Heyes and you can read about his company and tours at

http://www.culturaltourism.com.au/

Joseph has been in the business a long time and is known well by all of the wineries in the area. We were greatly impressed the first time we took a tour with him by the way he was received at the wineries we visited.

Joseph will customize any tour to meet your needs.

We just can't say enough great things about him

Cheers

Steve and Andrea
Nov 6th, 2007, 03:24 AM

Greetings again Mr Mark

Almost forgot, if you go out to the Barossa Valley be sure to go and see the whispering wall. It's a nice little detour from visiting the wineries and a very interesting experience.

Joseph took us there and it was fabulous

Cheers

Steve and Andrea
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Just a note to bump this back to the top so the op might get a chance to read it
Nov 13th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Wow, haven't checked this in a couple of days...

Thanks Steve & Andrea. I've just been through the site and I can't find any reference to Joseph Heyes. Is he one of the drivers and we should request him?

We know wine country quite well (northern CA residents here who go up to Napa, Sonoma and Mendocino often), but don't know OZ wine country (except for a few well loved labels). We're just looking for a tour through Barossa at this point because we'll be staying in McLaren Vale and will have help there (the landlords where we're staying are in the wine biz).

Can't wait to go and counting down the days...

Mark & Sue
Nov 13th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Hi Mark and Sue

Joseph is the owner so when you send your inquiry he will be the one responding to you.

When we were there a few weeks back we took in 2 special Penfold's tasting's. We took in the Grange special which is where you get to taste the very top end wines. Later that same day we did the "blend-your-own" where you get a taste of one of their wines and then get a chance to match the blend. Both were a lot of fun and well worth the extra price.

Be sure to drop back in here and let us know how your trip went

Cheers

Steve & Andrea
Nov 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Hi Mark,

.... while you're in the area ... do try & fit in a day in the Clare Valley, if you possibly can!

http://www.southaustralia.com/ClareV...lingTrail.aspx

A couple of my favourites ... Skillogallee winery www.skillogalee.com

& Thorn Park Country House. www.thornpark.com.au

Literally a few minutes stroll from Thorn Park is Sevenhill winery www.sevenhillcellars.com.au where the Jesuits turned out some of our earliest wines.

Enjoy your trip