Search

Hunter Valley

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Andy

Hunter Valley

I plan on being in Sydney in late February and would like to visit a wine region. I'm told that it's 2.5 hrs away. Is this worth a trip and a night's stay? I recently had a trip to Napa/Sonoma and enjoyed it.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 02:02 PM
liz

I personally don't think it is unless you go at the absolute best time of year. The region is not that pretty and the cost of the wines from the winery outlets is very expensive compared to the bottle shops in the cities. The accommodation is expensive in the Hunter as well. However if that is what you like doing then that is what you should do. I first did a trip there some 30 years ago and had a fantastic time - went back specifically for a wine tour of that area about 4 years ago and wondered why I had bothered. I personally don't think it comes close to the Napa region.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Jen

Did the Hunter Valley on a day trip with a driver 3 years ago - used Wendt on Tours - great, upscale tour group - no website as I know of, but e-mail address at [email protected]. We drank as much as we wanted without worrying about driving, and were taken to small, wonderful vineyards, including a great luncheon at one.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Pete

If you enjoy wine,you will enjoy the Hunter. The B&amp;Bs in the area are priceless. The people in N.S.W. are very pleasent and hospitable. They are really happy to show off their wares. <BR>The Rosemount wine yard is absolutely beautiful. I was there a couple of weeks back and the staff at Rosemont were just great. As the staff at the other wineries we visited were. I have been going to the area for many years and would visit the Hunter on any occasion I have the chance to do so.<BR>Some of the Horse Stud Farms are also well worth a visit if you have the chance.<BR>Many of Australia's best race horses are bred in the Hunter Valley. They also have been lucky enough to have a little rain in the last few weeks so the whole area is starting to look lush and green. Wine lovers love the Hunter. The drive up from Sydney is also very pretty. Pete

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Dawn

Pete -- I too am considering going to Hunter Valley -- do you know any tours that go to Rosemount or did you tour it by yourself? We are lookign to have someone drive us so we can &quot;enjoy&quot; the tastings to their fullest. <BR><BR>Would you suggest staying there for a night in a B&amp;B ? We had thought only of doing a day trip but maybe we could go overnight and enjoy it more? Where do you recommend near Rosemount? What other wineries are right near that one? <BR><BR>Any ifnormation would be greatly appreciated!!<BR><BR>Dawn

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Pete

Dawn , Stay over night. If you are comfy driving in other countries drive your self. If you are not take a tour.<BR>There are hundreds of little roads leading off into the fields, at the end of which are lots of adventures.<BR>Every one in the Hunter grows the best wine in Australia. Just ask them, they will tell you. Some of my favourite little wineries are as follows.<BR><BR>Arrowfield Wines<BR>Denman Road<BR>Jerrys Plains<BR>Ph: 02 6576 4041<BR><BR>Barrington Estate<BR>Yarraman Road, <BR>Wybong<BR>Ph: 02 6547 8118<BR><BR>Cruickshank<BR>Callatoota Estate<BR>Wybong Rd, Wybong<BR>Ph: 02 6547 8149<BR><BR>Horseshoe Vineyard<BR>Horseshoe Valley<BR>Denman<BR>Ph: 02 6547 3528<BR><BR>Inglewood Vineyards<BR>Yarrawa Road, <BR>Denman<BR>Ph: 02 6547 2556<BR><BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> London Lodge<BR>Merriwa Road, <BR>Gungal<BR>Ph: 02 6547 6122<BR><BR>James Estate Wines<BR>Rylstone Road<BR>Sandy Hollow<BR>Ph: 02 6547 5168<BR><BR>Rosemount Estate<BR>Rosemount Road<BR>Denman<BR>Ph: 02 6549 6400<BR><BR>Serenella Estate<BR>Rylstone Road,<BR>Baerami<BR>Ph: 02 6547 5168<BR><BR>I love the cruickshank, yum. I once purchased a bott of red from there which was so good, I took it home, sat it on top of the TV then turned the TV off and watched the wine all night. God its good red. Nothing like a nice Merlot while watching the sun go down across the Hunter. Denman is a nice little town close to most places BUT the Hunter region is huge.Denman is a small rural town with a population of 1500. Denman hosts spectacular views of rich pastures spreading out from the banks of the meandering Hunter and Goulburn Rivers.<BR>The town is situated on the bank of the Hunter River. The Goulburn river system meets the Hunter River 2km southeast of the town. The Hunter River has a constant flow of water thanks to Glenbawn Dam at the head of the river system.<BR>The township fulfils a role as a service centre to outlying agricultural areas. There are many agricultural ventures nearby, including:<BR>dairy farms,Vineyards,horse studs,beef cattle studs. <BR>A greater percentage of the town's population work at nearby mines and power stations. Some say the mines have spoiled the place,who knows perhaps they have, but it is still a beautiful place to spend a couple of days at least.<BR>Denman has been the setting for several movies and television programs including:<BR>&quot;The Shiralee&quot; filmed in the early 1950's.<BR>A Disney film &quot;Born to Run&quot; was filmed in Denman's main street and surrounding district in 1976 with many locals filling the roles of extras.<BR>n episode of G.P. (top rated ABC program) was filmed in Denman's main street in 1996.<BR>A film called &quot;A Fist Full of Flies&quot; was filmed in Denman around 1995.<BR>If you book a tour with a private person He will have your accomm booked for you.<BR>If you do drive your self there are lots and lots of Accommodation places, like Motels,B&amp;Bs, Farm Stays, and Hotels through out the area. Accomm is not a problem. The Morna May Cottage is just down the road from Rosemount. The last time I was there I payed around $115 AUD for a double room which included breaky. Check them out by searching Morna May Cottage Hunter Valley. I have their PH its, <BR>61 02 65472088. Not sure about their WEB<BR><BR>www.hunterriverretreat.com.au is also a fine place to start looking for what you require in the Hunter. <BR><BR>The Morna May is close to some very good wineries. <BR>Pete.<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Andy

Thanks for the responses. My wife and I are trying to plan a two week vacation in Oz and it is a bit overwhelming.