Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If you could only tour ONE winery in NV/SV....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are some favorite tours in both Napa and Sonoma? Looking for a few great suggestions for a late-September visit. We love cabs and pinots...
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:36 AM

If you like pinots, type PamSF and/or grasshopper in the text search box. They are the experts. Great pinots in the Russian River Valley. Here's a good link: http://wineroad.com/
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 02:47 PM

Best winery/vineyard we visited (our of several thru the years) is the Coppola Estate. We took a tour,you have to reserve.Felt like it was a private tour and wine tasting party with only about 20 ppl.Served the wines in the wine cellar w/french bread and cheese.Great tour of Francis Ford Coppola's movie memorabalia/estate/fantastic gift shop, etc.
Just one of probably many to suggest!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:28 AM

For an all around tour ? I agree with the Coppola. Try to book the ?Vineyard Experience? tour ? it?s fabulous. You get to walk through the vineyards, and then you have your tasting at the top of a hill, in the midst of the vineyards, overlooking the valley. You can never go wrong with a tour at Mondavi ? the wine educators there do a fantastic job.

For spectacular wine, I would try Opus One (on Highway 29) and Chimney Rock (off of Silverado Trail.) Opus is quite an experience, both the winery, and the wine. Note that tastings at Opus are about $25 . . . but if you?ve never had Opus before, once you taste it, you?ll know why it?s that pricey! Chimney Rock is a beautiful winery, and they have some great hidden gems!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:39 AM

My favorite Napa winery is v. Sattui, especially if you are looking for a casual lunch place. You can pick up stuff in their deli grab a bottle of wine and eat in the vineyard. In Sonoma, I love Viansa for the same reasons.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 04:43 PM

If your looking to do some serious wine tasting check out Del Dotto. We had never heard of it and we hired a driver that recommended it. Anyways you do a lot of barrel tasting. Your wine glass is always full. The cost is $20 for a tasting but it is well worth it!! Fun atmophere. The owner is usually there and he was a hoot!! I think he just drinks wine all day long with his guests, LOL......great guy. We are also big cab drinkers. We have been to Napa 3 times, if your interested I can give many more names of some great tours and wineries as well as restaurants. Let me know!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input!

Sandy - I am planning on the Coppola tour - sounds like a blast. Approximately how long does a thorough visit take?
swalter - Would you say that v.sattui is the best winery for a picnic?
tuleppy - I AM interested in more suggestions! Tell me more about this "driver". Was it a limo? Is that an expensive way to do the valley? I'll have a rental car, but am having difficulty planning tours - not knowing the area. For example:
- How many wineries in one day? (I'll be 2 days in Napa, 2 in Sonoma)
- What is the best order to visit them in?
- Are some to be avoided because they are too "commercial"?

I've been doing a ton of research (internet, books, etc.) but my favorite advice always comes from this site.

Thanks, and cheers!!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:55 PM

Hi,
The name of the driver is George. His website is www.napavalleychauffeurs.com
This was one of the hilites of our trip. He had a whole itinerary planned for us that was incredible. Even down to a picnic at a winery up in the hills. He set up a picnic that was probably one of the most romantic moments of our lives. I can not remember his rates. It was spendy, but well worth every penny!!! He is a super down to earth guy too....not stuffy at all...customer service incredible. Contact him thru his website. A list of wineries, Chimney Rock(Great Wine) Stags Leap Winery and Stags Leap Wine Cellars (they are two different wineries), Schafer, Joseph Phelps(Beautiful), Pride(This is way up in the hills they make a great wine)Spottswoode, stay clear of Mondovi(to commercialized!) Personally,(I don't want to offend anyone this is just my opinion) but V.Sattuai was to touristy for us. We enjoyed going to Oakville Grocery and Dean and Deluca to pick up our picnic supplies.
A really fun tour we did in the morning was went to a Champagne winery. It was one of the best tours. Very informative!! We are not huge champagne drinkers but really enjoyed the tour! The name is Schramsburg, very famous champagne that all the presidents serve at there dinners. We ended up joining there club! Staglin winery also good! Chimney rock has a great club to join. Last year we went in March to go to there annual blending party! What a blast!! They invite all there clubmembers and you get to blend your own bottle of wine and take it home! We ended up getting 3rd place out of 12 teams. Each team consisted of around 10 people. It was a great time! Where are you staying? I am rambling on here but everytime I start talking about Napa I cant stop.......we absolutly love it!! If you have any other questions feel free to ask! Have Fun!!!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Forgot one more thing, the driver doesnt use a limo he has a Mercedes which is great!!!! Much more personable!!
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tuleppy! I am going to contact George. We are staying 2 nights at the Yountville Inn, and 2 nights at the Lodge at Sonoma. Can't wait - we leave in 3 weeks!!!
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:18 PM

Im jealous!!!! Have a wonderful time!!!
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 07:13 PM

How was your trip? What did u end up doing?