White water rafting in Cairns

May 10th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

White water rafting in Cairns

Has anyone done any of the tours near Cairns for white water rafting? We will be in Port Douglas mid-July (myself, son (14) and daughter (17)) and since rafting in Costa Rica, my daughter is keen on trying it in Cairns. I am hesitant on the full day tours as 5 hours of rafting even with breaks seems a bit long for my old body but I don't want to give them an 'easy' ride on a 1/2 day tour as it would be a waste of money. Suggestions anyone??
May 10th, 2004, 09:11 PM

Hi bookgirl - R&R White water rafting picks up at PD at the Godforsaken - hour of 5.30 am for the Tully River Rafting and from PD its a 3 hour drive south. So apart from 5 hours of rafting you've got at least 6 hours in a bus. The half day trip on the Barron River, just out of Cairns is in a lovely, scenic spot but of course includes no major rapids. Why don't you do the half day and send the kids on the Tully.
May 11th, 2004, 02:09 AM

Hi, I've done white water rafting twice at Tully which is the main centre for white water in that area. It is a long day but really enjoyable. From memory, it's an early pick up in the bus then a long drive to Tully (towards Townsville) then rafting, getting soaking wet in the process but lots of fun, then a barbeque lunch on the riverbank which is all set up so when you get there you can just eat, and after all that activity, everyone is starving, then on for more rafting then the bus back to Cairns or Port Douglas. I think we stopped at a local pub after we had changed into warm dry clothes and had a light supper and watched a video of the day which you could buy and you coud buy photos they had taken of each raft.
A couple of thoughts - if the day is too long for you, you could ask to opt out after the lunch and get someone to take you back to the bus where you could read or have a laze about and wait for your children or you could drive yourself to Tully which would save on all the hotel pick-ups which usually take ages.
Hope you enjoy it if you go, we went with Raging Thunder last time and they were very safety conscious and professional. I would wear old shorts over your bathers and old runners or sandals plus sunscreen.
Kay
May 11th, 2004, 10:37 AM

glad you brought this up! I will be staying in Port Douglas beginning of June for 4 nights, then heading south to the Milla Milla area, which sounds like it is near the Tully. It sounds like we might as well do those rapids on our way to ur B&B, which is 2 hours south of PD.On the other hand, I haven't done it n years, and my 2 teen girls ( 15 & 18) have never done it. Should we opt,then, for the Barron and play it safe? Thanks
May 11th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Hi Donna - you could just fit in a half day on the Barron on your way from PD to Millaa Millaa, but there's no way you'd have time for the Tully on the way to your B&B. You'd need to go with either Raging Thunder or R&R White Water Rafting - they don't pick up on the Tableland - it's miles and miles out of their way. You could do it from Millaa Millaa by taking the very scenic
Palmerston Hwy from Millaa Millaa to Innisfail - an early start as they pick up at King George Park bus station in Innisfail at 8am. Or you could drive all the way and meet them at the Tully. Either way you'd avoid all the hotel pickups. Am sure your teenagers would find the Tully much more fun than the rather tame Barron.
May 13th, 2004, 06:27 AM

thanks Pat and all.we will be renting a car in PD to go to Milla Milla.I am actually afraid, so the Barron sounds like it is up my alley. Is Tully far from Milla Milla and is it rough?
May 13th, 2004, 06:17 PM

Hi Donna - Tully would be about an hour-hour and a half drive from Millaa Millaa and the road is sealed. It's a lovely drive down the Pamerston Hwy to Innisfail, but unless you go white water rafting in Tully there's not much point in going there. As you're driving from PD it would be best to meet the rafting company at Barron River - after the Smithfield roundabout take a right at the very next roundabout into Kamerunga Rd (shown on some maps as Western Distributor) - you'll see Skyrail and Tjakupai on your right. Stay on this road for a couple of kms and just before Kamerunga Bridge take a right at Lake Placid Road and follow it a little way to Lake Placid. If you cross the bridge you've gone too far so turn back immediately, otherwise you'll find yourself shooting into town on the distributor. You'll see the rafting companies vehicles in the car park at Lake Placid.
May 15th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Had a busy week so just got to see all the posts - thanks everyone - I think that I will either drive to Tully with the kids or opt out after lunch for a snooze. Donna - let me know how it all went with the teenagers and what else you enjoyed out of PD. Thanks all.