Search

White water rafting

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 12:24 PM
bist_m

White water rafting

Hi , We will be in Cairns in Mid-Dec. Is this a good time for rafting. Also any good tour suggestions. We are interested in 2-3 hrs of rafting. Thanks.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:02 PM
Kay

There are at least 2 groups who do white water rafting in Tully. They are pretty popular, you bus down from Cairns to Tully, do the rafting, have a BBQ lunch along the way, continue rafting then bus back to Cairns. I've done it twice and it's great fun. Suggest you wear shorts over your bathers and sunscreen.<BR>They take a video which you can buy if you want and a group photo of each raft.<BR>One of the companies is Raging Thunder, can't remember at the moment the other one but they are pretty similar.<BR>Kay

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Catie

How much does something like this cost?

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Mina

Hi Catie:<BR><BR>When I went with Raging Thunder Adventures Nov 2001, I paid $156 AUD for a full day, with a departure from Port Douglas (it's cheaper from Cairns by about $10) For that price, there's about 5 hours of rafting and a BBQ lunch. The river I rafted was the Tully River.<BR><BR>From PD it is a LONG day. Bus picked me up at 5:30. They say it's up to grade 4 rapids, but on the day I went, I didn't think it reckoned a 4. There were some iffy spots, and I did get a bit hurt when we flipped over, but most of the time the rafting was slow. With the drought going on, I don't know what the water levels would be. We hit a lot of rocks.<BR><BR>For a shorter day, you may want to try the Barron river. It's closer to P.D.<BR><BR>One tip: Even if it is a hot day, bring something warm like a sweatshirt. Most of us didn't have anything toasty to pull over, and after a wet day, we didn't dry off completely before getting on the bus. The airconditioning was so strong that I felt frozen to the core. (Turned into bronchitis at some point). Bring a change of clothes!<BR><BR>You can check out their website at www.ragingthunder.com.au

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 09:34 PM
Catie

Thanks for the advice!