where to stay uluru during august?

Old May 6th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

where to stay uluru during august?

3 nights in Uluru and looking for cool, comfortable, meals included, anything else included for 2 adults, 2 teens and 1 child. anyone have any suggesstions? longitude 131 seems way out of our price range unless someone has a deal I don't know about.
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Make sure you look at the Red Centre sale going on now through Ayers Rock Resort. Pay 2 nights / stay 3 nights.

http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/hot-special/

We're going in August too. Unfortunately, it looks like we may only stay 2 nights with our schedule.

Carole
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:22 AM

The resort run by Voyagers is the ponly accommodation option there though they have of accommodation from camping ground for campers and a hostel/hotel and then the different price categories of resort units.

The hostel may have family rooms or twin/doubles etc. and that'll be your cheapest option by far and with money daved you'll be able to lash out on pricier meals etc.
You can book the hostel through www.yha.com.au but August will be part of peak season for there and comfort should not be too much of an issue as it'll be about coolest time of year next to July.
You may also find it near fully or fully booked and have to take whatever is available.
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:32 AM

3 nights is probably too long at Uluru, two is ample. I doubt you will get anything with meals included (other than possibly breakfast).

Yulara (the name of the resort area owned by Voyages) is an expensive area but then everything is brought in, jacking up the prices. Outback Pioneer, on the link cawhite has provided, is one of the cheaper options for accommodation. It's basic but clean and comfortable. They have a barbeque dinner which is one of the better value food options.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks all- staying 3 nights cuz we arrive at night and leave in the morning so it gives us 2 full days. if that is too much may travel around a bit. any suggestions for that?
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

is there a difference between sails of the desert and the next level and the emu apartments?
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:42 AM

We spent 3 nights at Uluru several years ago, staying in a campervan. We basically spent a day at Uluru (climbed it and walked right around it) and a day at the Olgas rock formation, which is about 40 miles to the west. At the Olgas, we did the awesome Valley of the Winds walk and the Olga Gorge walk. In some ways, the Olgas are more interesting than Uluru, and shouldn't be missed.

So I would say 3 nights is perfect if you like to walk and see it all. Otherwise, two nights, one full day would suffice - enough time to do a little bit of walking around the base of Uluru, see the visitors center, and take a drive out to the Olgas for a short walk into Olga Gorge. And of course enjoy a sunset or two.
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:12 AM

On our last visit to Uluru a few years ago, we stayed in the Emu Walk Apartments. It worked out great for our group of 5--3 adults, 1 teen, 1 child. There was one bedroom with a Queen bed and another bedroom with 2 sets of bunk beds. They also have a sitting room, dining room and fully kitted-out kitchen. We enjoyed having the extra space and the option of preparing our breakfasts and lunches in the apartment so that we could enjoy dinner out.
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:13 PM

While you are at Uluru, I'd really recommend you visit the Cultural Centre and take a tour run by the traditional owners of the site, the local Aboriginal people, the Anangu. They explain the significance of the various sites and aspects of the rock. You can also take a self guided tour using a pamphlett from the Centre.

To the Anangu, the site is sacred and they ask tourists not to climb it.
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for your suggesstions-I will do them all. question to Longhorn-I have almost same configuration of 5. My child is 9 1/2-is that too young to see the sound of silence show?
can you get from emu walk to a pool?
can you get from emu walk to sails of the desert hotel and use the facilities there?
thanks in advance
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:31 PM

"My child is 9 1/2-is that too young to see the sound of silence show?"

I don't think so. I know that some dismiss this event as being too touristy, but we loved it and would do it again. The dinner begins with drinks as the sun sets, followed by a buffet dinner of good (not great) quality. Afterward, the astronomer does his presentation. I think your child would enjoy it. Be sure to bring your camera for shots before the sun sets.
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:34 PM

In response to your query--When we were there a few years ago, the guests at the Emu Walk Apartments were permitted to use the pool at the Desert Gardens Hotel, which was right next door (an easy walk). We did not go over to the Sails of the Desert, but I would doubt that you could use the facilities there unless you were staying there.
As for the Sounds of Silence Dinner...First, they do not recommend this for children under the age of 10. Second, you can do an Internet search for the menu and see if it is anything your child would eat. (It was not something my 10- year-old child would have eaten and it didn't really appeal to me either.) Third, only you can know whether your child would be bored or fascinated with an evening spent with adults looking at the stars and listening to stories/facts about them. In our case, we were with friends who REALLY wanted us to do this with them, but I was reluctant to spend that kind of money knowing that my children would have not eaten anything. I was relieved when the event was cancelled that night due to bad weather conditions (cloudy with some rain).
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

thank you soooooooo much-for that amount of money, it had to be wonderful and the word tablecloths was already a red flag. has anyone done the eco night show which I think is telescope whole bit without the dinner?
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:36 PM

I would ask you not to climb the Rock - it is sacred to the local Aboriginal groups. In the same way as one would not practice one's rock climbing skills on the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem, or gymnastics on the altar rail in St Paul's, London. It's a cultural thing.

Uluru is really worth visiting - I've been there three time, and it has ben diffeent each time. In August, you might need some warm clothes - the desert can be cold at night.

We stayed at Sails one time, and camped out in the desert for New Years Eve, 1999 / 2000. Left the millenium bug far behind.