Where to stay on Sunshine Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will have 3-4 days to spend on the Sunshine Coast in November, and would like to know where to base ourselves. Which would be the best central towns? We are looking for something self-catering, around $AU150 or less. Any suggestions for accommodations would be a great help. We'll have a car for seeing the area, and would like to know what the "don't miss" things are.
Thanks for any info.
Gina
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 08:53 PM

Deckerlex - 3-4 days is not a long period to discover all thats on offer at the Sunshine Coast. But with only a short period of time, here goes
Maroochydore is busy, loads of traffic, large supermarkets (in fact at Christmas, some roads can become gridlocked around Sunshine Plaza)
Noosa Heads is a nice spot, but it too is getting loved to death, and nowdays it is almost impossible to get a car park in Hastings Street.
I don't really care for some locations on the S/Coast, however, I would recommend, basing yourself somewhere like Coolumn Beach or Peregian Beach, then driving out each day to visit, places both north & south.
Must Sees ......Noosa National Park, coffee in a rural town like Pomono or Cooroy (north of noosa), Sunshine Coast Hinterland (Montville, Maleny etc, even out to Kenilworth & try their great cheeses). Some members will recommend the Steve Irwins Australian Zoo, but I'm not fussed on that type of thing.
Eumundi Markets is worth seeing (each Wednesday & Saturday morning), and a drive out to the Glass House Mountains.
As for Accommodation, I have a book in front of me, with hundreds of accommodation photos, etc, making it just about imposible to recommend, one over the other, without knowing your "budge" or price range, do you want to stay in a 5 star Resort complex, motel, caravan park, hotel, Bed & Breakfast establishment?
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:37 PM

I stayed in Noosaville last month at a place called Bermuda Villas, I had no complaints.

Noosaville is quite convenient as it has a good selection of restaurants along the river and on Thomas St. Noosa Heads is about a 5 minute drive or you can take a ferry along the river or if your energetic I think there is a walk.

I had a 2 bedroom apartment with kitchen and there was a supermarket about 2 minutes drive for groceries.

I booked it last minute through wotif.com for about AUD$100 per night during the week and AUD$120 at the weekend.

I also agree that Coolum is a good spot and that the Eumundi Market is good to visit as there were actually things there I would consider buying, usually I find markets certainly in Germany full of stuff that I wouldn't dream of buying.

Geordie
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:59 PM

Twin Waters is a nice place to stay and is across the river from Mooloolaba BUT you will need a car to get around from there.
There are heaps of fantastic apartment style accommodation around Mooloolaba and Alexandra Headlands but I cannot recall most of the names. If you do a google search of the Sunshine Coast they have a very, very good website with lots of information on it compared to many other areas and I am sure that you will find something to your liking. There are not too many second rate accommodation places there but just keep a bit away from the Hotel at Mooloolaba as that is not the best of places.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:50 PM

The number one absolute must do on the Sunshine coast, IMO, is the Aquarium in Moolooloba. I could stay there all day.
Noosa is nice to visit but a bit too upmarket to stay for my tastes.
We have stayed in the Surf Dance apartments in Coolum Beach twice and thought it was great value - full kitchen and really spacious. It was a block back from the beach. The beach had great surf but stay within the flags. My husband had to go the the aid of two women who got out of their depth in a hole in the surf.
It is a nice quiet spot,and being situated half way up the coast is a good central spot to visit the Sunshine Coast attractions.
Mind you I'm tempted to stay in Mooloolaba next time, so will be interested in others recommendations.

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Hi Gina,

I stayed in Outrigger International (apartments) in Mooloolaba in June and it was quite comfortable and central. It's also right next to a Coles so you can easily shop for your coffee and such there. If you're not fussy about exactly where you stay, www.wotif.com.au is a good website to visit for last minute (14 days before check-in)deals.

I think Mooloolaba is a good base to explore Sunshine Coast as it's quite central. It's about 1.5 hours from Brisbane airport. Less than 10 min's drive to the Sunshine Plaza in Maroochydore. Think it's the biggest shopping centre in Sunshine Coast. And about 30-40 min drive via the Sunshine Motorway to Eumundi and Noosa.
Absolutely loved the coloured sands safari in the Cooloola (Great Sandy) National Park. Eumundi market is good too. The drive up the hills to Kenilworth, Maleny, MOntville is very scenic and the towns are pretty. If you're into fresh seafood, try the Mooloolaba Fisheries on the Spit - it's a fish market with an attached cafe so you can eat in or take out. Enjoy!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Mooloolooba is the place to stay. Good restaurants and coffee shops, ans not to touristy. Many fine apartments, & quite cheap. We like the Outrigger, and also the Peninsular. Outrigger is newer, but the Peninsular is slightly closer to the centre.
Try the Surf Club for a good meal, ans Sizzlers at Alexander headland is also good.
"Don't Miss" places are the Eumundi Markets and Montvile. Malany is nice, but I prefer Montvile. The Aquaruim at Mooloolooba is excelent, and if you like Sea kayaking there are trips from the Jetty each evening.
Australia Zoo is a bit like Steve Irwin, "over the top", but a good place to see Australian wildlife.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for all the help and recommendations. Wish we had more time there, but sounds like a great area. Coolum or Mooloolaba get the most votes!
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 02:55 AM

There are some wonderful places, good idea is to have a car rental so you can tour around the whole coast.