Sunshine Coast Advice

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunshine Coast Advice

We're re-working our itinerary for Australia due to a date change. I'm wanting to go to the Sunshine Coast. A friend visited Mooloolaba and loved it, but I've also heard that Noosa is very nice. (Sounds like there are a few places with Noosa in the name - what are the differences?) I'm sure someone out there has opinions on what's a more desirable destination! We'd be looking at maybe 3 days just after Easter. I'd appreciate some ideas. Thanks.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 05:05 PM

Yes -- Noosa & the Sunshine Coast is a wonderful place.

Noosa Heads is the main village -- kind of a Carmel-like town with nice restaurants and boutiques and such on a swimming beach on the edge of a National Park. It's the main tourist area.

Noosa Junction is over the hill from Noosa Heads. It's where most of the area's functional shops are -- a post office, mall, pharmacy, grocery store, movie theatre, etc. Not very touristy there, but very necessary if you live there.

Noosaville is a newer residential town up the road on the Noosa River, I believe. Don't know much about it except I think there is a water slide and a pretty river-side park there. All the Noosas are within 10-15 minute drive from one another.

Noosa Heads itself is not on the ocean, but on some sort of estuary bay, etc. There are a bunch of beach communities all up the coast from Mooloolabah, Coloundra, etc. Sunshine Beach is my personal favorite.

There's a bunch of day trips you can do -- or just find a place to relax.

Hope this helps! Have fun!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 11:25 PM

The Sunshine Coast starts in Caloundra and ends in Tewantin, the next suburb up from the Noosa area and all the little spots beginning with Noosa - Noosa Junction, Noosa Heads, Noosaville, and Noosa Sounds are within a few minutes drive of each other and every one is nice to stay in. Some like to stay in Hastings St as its the tourist hub while others prefer to be away from the hub, I guess it's a personal choice.
Have a look at www.tourismnoosa.com.au
it's brilliant.
Personally I love the Noosa river and a long it's foreshore, there are many accomodation places. Mainly serviced apartments and not too many motels. The Sheraton is the largest hotel and it's on Hastings St. Then if you're into golf you have Coolum and Twin Waters resorts and Noosa Springs to stay at, they are all wonderful especially for us golfers.
I also love Mooloolaba and Maroochydore but you can visit them easily from Noosa.
It is a growth area, the fastest growing in Australia and you won't wonder why when you get there. I have been visiting there regularly for over ten years and have seen many changes over the years.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 02:17 AM

If you don't have a car, and like the idea of walking down Hastings Street in the evening, choosing from one of the many wonderful restaurants there, choose Noosa Heads. The beach is just off Hastings St, and you can also easily walk to the national park for a bit of koala spotting. For info on Noosa go to http://www.tourismnoosa.com.au/main.html.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like Noosa is the area to visit. We probably won't get a car - first of all, neither of us find it all that relaxing to drive in a new area (plus we'd have to deal with driving on the left), so we'll probably be walking or taking taxis. I'll start looking into that area. At this point, it looks like we'd be there over Easter, so I imagine I should be booking accommodation in advance. Thanks again.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Janese

If you are not going to have a car getting around will be a problem as public transport leaves a lot to be desired and getting a taxi to other interesting spots on the Sunshine Coast will be prohibitive as they are quite a distance away i.e. the hinterland, Maroochydore and its attractions and Mooloolaba. Noosa is at the very top end of the Sunshine Coast and its a good 3/4hour drive to the southern end.
You perhaps would be better being either more central or deciding on a car.

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janese. Where you would recommend that would be more central? I honestly can't see us renting a car unless we absolutely had to do so.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Need more help. We were planning to go to Byron Bay for a few days, then to Noosa (or Mooloolaba or wherever). That would be over the Easter weekend. I just found out that there is a blues festival Easter weekend in Byron and accommodation seems to double in cost - plus many places have a minimum booking of a week. I don't think I want a week there - I was thinking of maybe 4 days in Byron and 3 or 4 in Noosa. Any ideas on places that might be less busy? I've sent off a couple of e-mails and already I'm finding that it might not be so easy to find a place. Also would like Janese's recommendation on somewhere more central.

This would be the 'middle' part of our trip - we're starting off in Sydney, then the idea was Byron Bay, etc. and then we'd finish up in Darwin. We do want a beach experience for some of the vacation.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 10:38 PM

I live on the Sunshine Coast and work in Mooloolaba so I get to see our wonderful beaches everyday.

The Sunshine Coast is a great place to visit. We have beautiful beaches, the hinterland area, National Parks, great restaurants, Underwater World, Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo and the Big Pineapple etc.

Public transport is practically non-existant, there are local buses but they are not very regular. It is very easy to drive on the Sunshine Coast

Mooloolaba is centrally located on the Sunshine Coast with Noosa being a 40 min drive north by car. The main shopping centre (mall) called the "Sunshine Plaza" is located in Maroochydore which is about 5 mins from Mooloolaba, although there are lots of other shopping centres around the Sunshine Coast, Noosa etc. Easter is a busy time on the Sunshine Coast as it is school holidays so I would definately book accommodation well in advance.

Listed below are some web sites for the Sunshine Coast.

www.sunshinecoast.org
www.maroochytourism.com
http://www.travelaustralia.com.au/ql.../sunshine.html

Let me know if you have more specific questions.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Janese

Unless you are aged between 14 -30 Byron is not the place to be for a music festival. It is a very small place and caters for the younger style of person or the more hippy types. Beautiful it may be but crazy at times like Easter and Christmas and the music festivals. There are lots and lots and lots of wonderful beaches between Sydney and the Sunshine Coast that it would be very hard to choose except to say that the further north you are the better the weather and the warmer the water.
If you are looking for beautiful beaches with lots of other things to do then perhaps you can combine having no transport with say staying somewhere in the Tweed River area because the public transport system there is good. But without knowing what you are wanting is a little difficult. On the score of the Sunshine Coast though, my choice would be Mooloolaba Beach or Alexandra Headlands. A previous poster who lives there now ( its pathetic when I can't remember names when I lived in that area for 7 years! ) may be able to come up with the name of a complex which I think is great and is on the corner of the Mooloolaba - Buderim Road and the Esplanade. They are self catering units and have wonderful views. Also just across the road is the beach and its walking distance to shops etc. I will check out a site and get back to you on this one with a name perhaps.
If you are just looking for a beach then then perhaps you may think of Tangoolooma Beach resort on North Stradbroke Island where you can swim with the dolphins. Its just off the coast of Brisbane and lovely and quiet.
Anon liz

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Janese

I think the one that I was thinking about has undergone a name change anyway and is now Alexander on the Pacific and this one and others can be found on:
http://www.sunshinecoastaccommodatio...ooloolaba.html
You would be looking at Mooloolaba, Maroochydore and Alexandra Headlands. Twin Waters resort is out of your scope as its over the other side of the river from Maroochydore and you really need a car if you stay there.
Anyway hope this helps. I think though that perhaps you maybe out of luck with 3 days over Easter but now is the time to check that.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 01:32 AM

I agree that if you want to thoroughly explore the Sunshine Coast area you will need a car, but there are other alternatives. Tour companies will pick you up at your hotel and take you to such places as Fraser Island from Noosa and other Sunshine Coast resorts. And you get the benefit of a tour guide with local knowledge. The hotel desk clerk will be happy to make arrangements for you. You can always hire a car for the day if there is somewhere you can't get to by tour.

Okay, if you don't like the idea of tour coaches, hire a car, and you will have a lot more flexibility. But if you prefer having someone else do the driving, go on tours. One of the things I like about Noosa Heads is you don't need a car. I drive on the left where I live, so that isn't a problem for me, but when on holiday I enjoy sitting back and letting someone else do the work.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Well, thanks for all the posts. I still think we'll try to spend a few days in Byron Bay and a few days in Noosa. I've talked to a friend here who has visited both and she's recommending both!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:23 PM

Another suggestion is to spend some time on the Gold Coast and its rain forest Hinterlands. There are two inland resorts called Binna Burra and O'Reileys that have great walks through the trees, wildlife and waterfalls.

The Gold Coast is a lot more built up and crowded than the Sunshine Coast (think Miami Beach). It's not really my cup of tea, but I can understand your desire for beaches and it would be on the way to Brisbane from Byron Bay.

My wife and I (both are 36) can't wait to go back to Byron Bay this December. Although I wouldn't classify ourselves as hippies, we do appreciate the alternative/surfer community. It is very much like our native Santa Cruz.

Have a blast & let us know if you have more questions.