When solo trip to GBR and Sydney

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When is the best time of year for Sydney and GBR to make first trip to Australia? Am (young) 59 female and can travel solo anytime in 2007 for about 20 days (from CA). Want to snorkel, see nature, and Sydney-midrange hotels. Thanks.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:51 AM

Having been to both Sydney and Port Douglas in September, I think that would be an excellent time of year for both places. It's getting to be spring in September, so the weather is generally very nice in Sydney at that time of year. In Port Douglas, it's warmer and less windy than in July/August, yet it's also before the stinger season begins, so you can swim off the beach. While October would also be a good time, school holidays are that month, so every place is more crowded and accomodations are harder to come by.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 02:10 PM

Googling "Australia School Holidays 2007" (without the quotes) brought up the site below. Hope it helps in your planning.

http://www.dest.gov.au/portfolio_dep...dates_2007.htm

Longhorn55 is correct in advising you to plan your trip when school is in session. The dates vary from state to state.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 03:50 PM

GBR is basically tropical weather (wet season/dry season) and even Sydney really only barely manages to get four distinct seasons (summer/autum/winter/spring).

In general, travelling in the dry season (April to September) is more manageable if you want to go to both places.

Cheers,

Bill
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:07 PM

Well it was blowing 33knots at Whitsundays for the last few days making reef and island trips a nightmare. Not as bad much further north in Cairns/Port Douglas but SE winds are still prevailing and for better reef conditions I prefer October/November or later. this is still well before "wet" season which is my favourite time of year in FNQ with rainforest at its best and waterfalls in full flood.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

I am enjoying the ideas that have been shared. I am open to any suggestions.
Thanks. jgcr
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

In September 2007, would you recommend I start in Port Douglas 6 or 7 days or Sydney 6 or 7 days (with day trip to Blue Mnts.) I now am thinking I will add two days for Uluru.
In the middle of Sydney and Port Douglas. I can't express how helpful your responses are to me.

jgcr
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Start in Port Douglas, go to Uluru then to Sydney.

Its a beautiful, clear day in Sydney right now (10:30am) with a top temperature of 20 degrees Celcius predicted!

Cheers,

Bill