Sidney & Cairns

Dec 26th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Sidney & Cairns

My husband & I are in the talking stages of going to Sidney and Cairns. It will be a 2/wk vacation..1 wk in each place. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
We are thinking early November.
Thank you
Dec 26th, 2003, 08:56 PM

Hi, hable46!

Try tomake the trip just a little earlier; October is sensational in Sydney, sunny but still reasonably cool. By November it is starting to get hotter. Cairns, being tropical, is going to be hot either way, so I guess the best thing to do is spend the week in Sydney to get used to the warmer weather, and then head for Cairns after you're acclimatised.
Dec 26th, 2003, 10:43 PM

Hello hable - October and November are usually great in Cairns - October is probably the very best month of the year. It's after the SE trade winds which can blow for about 3 months in "winter" which can make reef conditions choppy to say the least and before the humidity sets in for the wet season, around mid-December.
Jan 1st, 2004, 05:36 PM

Hi Hable46

A week each place is great - we spent a week in Sydney, 2 days in Ayers Rock and 1 week in Palm Cove(cute town north of Cairns). I would recommend Palm Cove highly. Availability to get to Cairns, Kuranda Rail and Sky Rail, Port Douglas and Daintree Forest Tours is fabulous. Not much nightlife if you are in to that. We stayed both times at the Reef House - excellent choice! We would go back again in a minute, but there are so many other places to see!

Enjoy!
Jan 2nd, 2004, 10:20 AM

Hi there hable. Sydney then Cairns is what we did for our honeymoon (plus one night at Uluru). Our full trip report is here:

(http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...3&tid=34455339)

We found Sydney cold and quite rainy in early October, whilst the weather in Cairns was perfect.
Jan 5th, 2004, 06:59 AM

We went to Australia for our honeymoon Nov12-29th this year and the weather was great. It was pretty warm and comfortable in Cairns and then Sydney was in the 60's so my wife was cold! (More excuses to buy sweatshirt/fleeces)

It was a fantastic trip... our honeymoon pictures are up. Just copy and paste this address: http://home.ubalt.edu/students/UB25V76/index.html

and if you have any other questions please e-mail my wife... [email protected] or me.... [email protected].