what is more affordable, Tahiti or Hawaii?

Sep 25th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Christina

what is more affordable, Tahiti or Hawaii?

For a one week trip to either Tahiti or Hawaii with comparable hotels, which one is more affordable?

p.s. I am in Florida

Sep 25th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Sarah

Friend who grew up on the Big Island, lives on Oahu but travels frquently to the outer islands and has been to Tahiti says, TAHITI IS MORE EXPENSIVE. She says it is more beautiful also. This woman's livingroom fills with the sounds of the ocean (North Shore(Oahu) which is literally yards away. Nightmares about Tsunamies but oh what a life!!!

Sep 25th, 2002, 11:30 AM
db

Christina,
I went to Maui and the Big Island for my honeymoon 2 years ago and loved it. In 1 week, we are leaving for Tahiti, and I can tell you that I am spending MUCH MORE to stay in comparable hotels in French Polynesia. Also, the flight from LA is supposed to be almost 8 hours instead of the 4 1/2 -5 hours it takes to get to Maui. If you can only do one week, and money is a factor, enjoy yourself for much less in Hawaii now and save up for the Tahiti trip later. Just my opinion. Good luck and have fun planning!

Sep 26th, 2002, 06:01 PM
lcuy

We live in Honolulu, and friends who have gone to Tahiti always say it is wonderful but VERY expensive, especially as they tend to go the extra bit to Moorea or Bora Bora.

Sep 26th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Gary

It all depends on how important accomodations are to you and whether or not your'e willing to stay in the more budget type hotels. I've been to both places, and I can't emphasize enough how much more beautiful Tahiti is than Hawaii, both the islands and the surrounding water. Tahiti has way fewer people and is much less touristy. Tahiti is probably like Hawaii 40 years ago in that regard. If you can at all spare the extra money for the plane ticket to Tahiti, go there instead of Hawaii. Once your'e there it doesn't have to be any more expensive. You'll never regret it.

Sep 27th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Kim

We've been to most of the Hawaiian Islands and Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora and two other Tahitian Islands that I can't even begin to spell (sorry!). Huahine (?) and one that starts with an "r".
Anyway, they are ALL gorgeous. The first time we went to Oahu, I thought, "this is the MOST beautiful place in the world." Then the next time we went to Maui and I thought, "this is the most beautiful place in the world." Then we went to Kauai and you know what i thought.
Then we went on a Tahitian cruise...it is also unbelievably beautiful! There is absolutely nothing like sitting on a motu in the middle of the ocean -
I found the islands in Tahiti to be more expensive, but you can definitely find expensive on all of the Hawaiian Islands, too.
We've stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Kauai (gorgeous!) and we've also stayed at Kiahuna's Plantation (condos in Kauai). They're less than two miles from each other. Kiahuna's was almost half the price - it was a condo, obviously with a refrigerator, so we could bring in food and not have to eat every meal out - saved tremendously.
Have a great time wherever you choose!

Sep 27th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Sarah

Christina you are in Florida and you only 1 week go to Hawaii.

Sep 27th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Louis

A week in Hawaii will cost about 50% of a week in Tahiti for the equivalent values.

Oct 1st, 2002, 09:11 AM
Debi

I agree with a previous poster - if you're only going for one week, Hawaii is your only option. It's going to take you all day to get there (I live on the East Coast, too), a whole day to get back, and you'll have 5 days there. Tahiti is a much harder trip and you definitely need a minimum of 2 weeks for that (3 is better). And also - Hawaii is alot less expensive, they really aren't comparable. FP is French, and has a French way of life and Hawaii is a US state. Hotels that are the same price - would not be the same quality.

Oct 17th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Melodie

Christina,

hands down, Tahiti is so much more expensive than Hawaii. To put it in perspective, I tell my clients....it's a $20 hamburger place (and that's without fries). This is why many of the hotels there have meal plans, but then of course, you're "stuck" eating at the hotel every night.

That said, it's hard to lump them both in the same category. While both in the South Pacific and tropical, the level of tourism and development differs dramatically. (there's no Home Depot or Walmart in Tahiti).

If you do decide on one of these, I'd seriously recommend either doing an overnight in either SFO or LAX if you're going to Hawaii, or LAX if you're going to Tahiti, to break up your trip.

Regards,

Melodie