Search

Jelly fish season in GBR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 04:23 AM
mooni

Jelly fish season in GBR

Hi,<BR>I will visit Palm Cove at last week of October. Does anybody know - is it jelly fish season already and is it possible to swim at the beach at the end of October?<BR>Regards<BR>Mooni

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:48 AM
SD

When I was there in April the signs on the beach stated October to May. Nobody was in the water. Not even in the swimming enclosures. I don't want to burst your bubble on your expectations but the water is very rarely clear because of all the rain and subsequent runoff from the higher elevations.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Patti

Sorry Mooni<BR><BR>People were NOT swimming at the beach but they were swimming and snorkeling out at the GBR. I guess that the box jelly fish do not come around the reef just closer to the land.<BR><BR>So although the season is October thru May - you'll still have a truly marvelous time there. We stayed at Palm Cove at the Novatel and it was great. We also had dinner one night at the Sebel Suites in Palm Cove and enjoyed it. Have a ball!!!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Christina

Mooni,<BR><BR>October is jellyfish season. When we were on our trip in August, our tour guide said that the jellyfish spawn in the rivers & then are sweep out to sea. That is why it isn't safe near the shoreline. <BR><BR>You can go out to the GBR instead, which is prettier anyway. <BR><BR>Have Fun!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Ally

I'm not so sure about the Jelly Fish not being around the GBR. We sailed around the area and was told by our captain that he does not do tours after mid Oct., and one of the reasons he gave was because of the Jelly Fish!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Hanuman

I'm in Cairns right now on holiday and I'm going up to Lizard Island today for a week. Just heard on the news that they, the Aussie beach patrol(or something like that) have caught their first box jelly fish for this season so they are around but not at Lizard.<BR><BR>Here's an advice for you guys, if you do get stung by jelly fish and you don't have any help around use URINE(your pee!). Urine will act like vinegar and help neutralize the sting.