Stinger Suits

Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stinger Suits

Hi,
We really don't "get" stinger suits. There seems to be a lot written about them being sold all over, but can they really protect you from dangerous stings?? All over one's body??
We will be in Mooloolaba, Port Douglas and out on cruise on Great Barrier Reef---to Lizard Island the first 2 weeks of October and are trying to decide whether to get these things. Thanks for any input,
Joan 95448
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 04:08 PM

October seems early in the season for stingers. Also they are certainly not a problem on the Sunshine Coast at any time of year - Mooloolaba is too far south. Similarly for the Outer Reef, as stingers are more of a coastal phenomenon - the reef is actually quite far out to sea in most places. However at Lizard Island, the reef is quite close to the coast and I would imagine stingers could be a problem there in Wet Season (Nov-Mar).

Dont think I'd bother getting stinger suits considering the time of year and the places you're going. However, not being a North Queenslander, I'd defer to a local's opinion if you can get one.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:03 PM

I'm a local and agree with Ralph. Except that stinger season in Far North Queensland extends beyond March, usually to May and sometimes June. Anyway, early October should be fine, stinger nets on coastal life-saver patrolled beaches usually are set in place early November.

Even if you feel you need a stinger suit you certainly won't need to buy one, all reef boats have them available for a small rental. Yes, they do cover entire body, feet, hands and head, the only exposed part would be area around face not covered by mask, so you look a bit like The Phantom. They're extremely lightweight and make a good protection for sunburn, a far likelier danger.

Mooloolaba is some 1700kms south of Port Douglas, in a different climate zone, and as Ralph says, not an area affected by dangerous marine stingers, yet, anyway.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your input. Sounds like we don't really need one--have a Coolabar suit for sunburn. Joan
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Pat definitely has a point about sunburn - it's very important to wear something to protect your back (like a wet suit top) if you're snorkeling for any period of time. The relative coolness of the water can deceive you into thinking the danger is not there. I found that out the hard way snorkeling off Port Douglas a while back, in August ("winter" in Australia). Thanks to the aloe plants growing decoratively at the Silky Oaks retreat where we we staying, I had some degree of relief.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ralph, You are so right about the sun. I actually grew up in Sydney and am about 10 years ahead of where I should be with skin cancer type stuff, per my dermatologist.
Check out the Coolibar products, on line,for your next trip to Australia. I have one of their long sleeve shirts for snorkeling and have used in many times in Mexico and Hawaii. I believe it is an Australian company and blessed by US dermatologists, etc.
Joan
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM

Cairns base hospital is expert in treating cases of sunburnt hypothermics. Guess what those people have been doing all day!