Wellington vs. Martinborough

Dec 1st, 2005, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Wellington vs. Martinborough

We have 3 nights in the Wellington area the end of Jan. and have the opportunity stay at a lovely villa right in a vineyard near or in Martinborough. This would afford us more time in the Wairarapa area but might cut us a bit short in Wellington. Is this too romantic and adventuristic to pass up?
Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:56 PM

I was just there. Loved both so I would head over for the delightful food and wine. Especially enjoyed Salute' in Greytown and Gladstone Wine (Pinot & Auld Alliance). Aloha
Dec 2nd, 2005, 07:09 PM

What is the name of the villa you will be at??
Dec 4th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Dear Pleiades (and others). The name is Margrain Vineyard Villas (no, not Migraine!). Any feedback on Margrain or the area in general would be great. Thanks. Steve
Dec 7th, 2005, 12:02 AM

Margrain is very pleasant from the outside, I havent stayed there but its right in the vineyard area and also within walking distance to the Square at the centre of town.
I live in Wgtn but would definitely take all the time you can get in the Wairarapa .. its a lovely part of NZ. If you are driving up from Wgtn, stop at Kaitoke Forest Park on the way over the Rimutakas .. LoTR filming site and lots of pretty bush.
Castlepoint is prob the most spectacular Wairarapa beach .. its about 1 1/2 hrs from Martinborough. Cape Palliser (in hte opp direction) os about 3/4 hr from Mba and has a nice light house and lots of seals. You can get a good beer at the Lake Ferry Hotel.
Between Featherston & Greytown, The Tin Hut pub on State Highway 2 is serving lovely food these days and also the White Swan in Greytown is v nice.
Have a great visit!