Search

Virginia wineries

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virginia wineries

We're driving up from NC in Jan/Feb to do a little scouting for a couples' winery tour. Any favorite wineries in the southwestern area or around Charlottesville? Will we find interesting places to eat...it's not exactly picnic weather, is it? We'd also love a B&B recommendation. Thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Our favorite is barboursville.Very nice and close to Charlottesville. You can check out their website at www.barboursvillewine.com The ruins of a house designed by Jefferson is also on the site and worth a tour.

We also like Hortons which is just a few miles away. Wine is very good, but the atmosphere is kind of hokey.

Good information on virginia wines is at: http://www.virginiawines.org/
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are many lovely Inns & B&Bs in the Cville area. My first choices would be Prospect Hill and Clifton Inn.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:29 AM

I would suggest the Silver Thatch Inn, in Charlottesville, they also have a pretty good restaurant. If you are looking for quality wines, I would not suggest Barboursville. Horton has a massive wine menu & their wines are hit or miss. The best (in my opinion) are to be found @ Villa Appalachia which is right off the Parkway (near I-77) if you are traveling up from Charlotte. It would be out of your way otherwise, but they do a great job w/Italian varietals & we typically stop there for lunch as they always have some good tidbits to eat as well. I would also suggest Rebec (Cab only), Prince Michel, Afton Mt. & Sharp Rock (great Cab Franc). I believe Sharp Rock has guest a guest house or something but they are kind of out of the way. Check out virginiawines.org & that will also help you narrow your choices. Where do you "chef @" if you don't mind my asking ? There are a ton of new wineries since we were last there (about 2 years ago) I'll be interested in your report as we are going up that way again this Fall.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Just an aside, although Virginia wines are improving everyday, there are still some that just aren't very good, as well as others that (just as in NC) choose to make sweeter wines using local varietals that are not to my taste. The web-site can act as a pretty good filter. In addition, if you are traveling from the Charlotte area, there is a pretty good little winery right off of 77 (& I'm not talking about Shelton) called Round Peak that makes some very good wines as well.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:52 AM

Another vote for Barboursville. Excellent reds, remarkably.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Perhaps Barboursville has come around (?), it has been nearly two years since I visited can vahiker or gekko give me some specific wines that they found to be good ? Last time we were there they had little that was even drinkable.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:48 AM

I am a wine snob and love Barboursville! You can try from whites to reds to GREAT dessert wines. How far north are you going? There are some other vineyards in Northern VA, a bit further away than C'ville.

We love Breaux vineyards and Tarara as well.

8-)
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:01 AM

I guess Barboursville has wide appeal from the self-proclaimed wine snobs who recommended it to myself, a self-proclaimed wine moron who really enjoys that vineyard.

As for places to eat--there area ton in Charlottesville--what meals and types of food are you looking for? Barboursville has a restaurant (pricey and no clue how the food is and it is closed for January) just FYI.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Can some of the self-professed 'wine snobs' please provide a little more detail as to what wines they specifically found to be good. I'm pretty sure most of us are aware that there are reds & whites (& probably blushes as well). As I recall they do some Italian varietals (speaking of Barboursville). I am no wine snob but would consider myself a wine-lover...Some details, please...
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:00 PM
je

Some time back, at least a year ago, there was an excellent article in Winespectator magazine about the emergence of Virginia wineries. I don't remember any specifics but you may be able to research it on the magazine's website. It may require you to log in to get access.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Linden Winery is also quite good.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Thx, je. I'll take a look, just looking for additional info for my trip in the Fall. Hopefully the original poster can also provide some helpful/up to date info.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:27 PM

If you want to drive a little further into Shenandoah County, there is Shenandoah Vineyards in Edinburg, and North Mountain Winery in Toms Brook. Both towns are off of I-81.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Sorry! The Cabernet was great at Barboursville, Merlot was pretty good too. My friend who doesn't like much wine, absolutely loves their dessert wines - Phileo is the favorite.

I haven't eaten at Barboursville yet, but they have a restaurant. If you check the virginia wine website, you can find special events at some of the vineyards.

I agree with SAnParis, we have had some pretty poor wines at some vineyards as well.

As far as wine spectator, I believe they premiered Breaux vineyards in their article. Beautiful view and great wine...

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:41 PM

One last bit if you are planning a trip, there are some hot air baloon packages in the area (sunset ride with champagne, sunrise with breakfast, etc). I haven't done it yet (the day I booked, it rained), but it looks like a great deal and I heard it is beautiful.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Kal

Had some very good viognier at Miche's Tavern one trip.
The winery was about a 15 min drive away. Went and had a few bottles shipped home.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Try Chateau Morrisette near Floyd and Meadows of Dan. Their restaurant, The Black Dog, is outstanding as well.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:02 AM

Chateua Morrisette is kind of right across the street (& down the road) from Villa Appalachia which I had mentioned prior. I would recommend the restaurant @ Chateau Morrisette, but not necessarily the wines. Although I do recall their Chard not being too bad.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:54 AM
emd

Has anyone tasted the wines from Dave Mathew's (the musician) vineyard outside of Charlottesville? I think some has been released. Just curious, as I read an article in (I think it was) Food and Wine about this vineyard.

(BTW, Breaux has a very good viognier.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -