Sydneysiders Rule!

Dec 5th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Sydneysiders Rule!

Just returned from your wonderful town. You guys have a little slice of heaven there! It's a large city, but easy access via a variety of transportation modes, glorious weather... a paradise for shoppers...both upscale and Paddy's Market style...and being foodies we relished the number and variety of restaurants. People were city-folk-style friendly in Sydney and warm and engaging in the outlaying areas. I have never seen a more beautiful city especially all the harbor frontage. What a jewel of a place. Move over San Francisco... you have been replaced as my favorite city! Keep up the great work guys...oh and by the way..."no worries!!" Tracee
Dec 5th, 2005, 08:38 PM

Thanks Tracee22,

Sssshhh ... don't tell too many or we'll have to pull up the drawbridge (LOL)

Apparently we starred in some international survey of 35 cities, announced today. I just caught the tail end of the broadcast, so don't know whether we won it or just came in at the top end.

Would love to see more about your trip - where did you stay, go & do?
What restaurants?

Cheers,
Bokhara
Dec 6th, 2005, 01:16 PM

Great! Glad we made you happy ! Come back soon ! See you mate!
Dec 6th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Bokhara,

We stayed at the Sheraton Four Points on Darling Harbour. Beautiful place with very nice staff. We took ferry trips to everywhere they went (2 days of day passes) from Manly to Parmetta..I've never seen a good-sized river dead end like that, amazing! We stopped off in several neighborhoods like Balmain and Kirribilli just to walk around and get a feel for the area.I spent some time on the Univ of NSW campus in Richmond(??) to see how the midwives in Australia catch babies...just about the same as here. We did most of the tourist sites.
Opera House, Botanical Gardens St. Marys's, Hyde Park, Convict House, AMP Tower. The Cockatoo Tour to the Southern Highlands was wonderful, the volunteer guides very engaging. We were offered a chance to ride in the engine...and I even steered gt; the train. The Highlands were pretty socked in with fog and rain on that day, but since everyone was SO happy with the rain,it was ok with us. What we could see of it was beautiful!! Manly was my favorite beach, Garfish our favorite restaurant, the Saturday Morning Farmers Market in Pyrmont the best unplanned event, and just walking around that beautiful city the all round favorite daily outing. Paddy's Market was fun as was just watching the huge amount of people out carousing at 3:00 AM. Between the crowds of people out at 3AM and still out at 7 AM at the Farmers Market...I believe you guys don't need sleep, you just recharge your solar cells in that glorious sunshine. Thanks for the memories...it was a great trip! Tracee
Dec 6th, 2005, 09:05 PM

Good to hear from a happy customer, Tracee - your report was almost enough to make me want to move back to Sydney.

If you got as far as Richmond I think that would have been a University of Western Sydney campus? Used to be the Hawkesbury Agricultural College back in the Dark Ages when I lived in that district. Didn't know they had a maternity hospital, but they probably need one out there, as it's become Nappy Valley (I guess I should clarify that one - nappy = napkin = diaper).
Dec 6th, 2005, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the trip report, Tracee - I thought you were coming to meet us....
Dec 6th, 2005, 11:48 PM

Probably Randwick,Neil.
Dec 7th, 2005, 12:41 AM

Thanks, John. Why didn't I think of that?

Tracee, I guess you have a professional interest in baby-catching - I must say that nothing would induce* me to enter another labour ward, especially as a holiday destination. Once was enough. (Sorry, ladies - I guess I just lost my hard-won SNAG status.)

* No pun intended, of course.
Dec 7th, 2005, 02:14 AM

Tracee - thank you! I was so glad to see someone venturing off to Kirribilli, Balmain and the Rivercat trip to Parramatta. The Growers Market at Pyrmont is one of my favourites, too.

We "locals" learn so much from you! I'd never heard of the "Cockatoo tour" until a couple of weeks ago when someone posted about it. Now, I'm thinking of getting a group to go on it.
You'll be amused to know Parliament House, the Barracks, Old Mint & State Library are a riot of "art deco" colours & prints courtesy of our Christmas lighting tonight. It's just after 10pm and still in the high 30's.

We have two fantastic exhibitions at the Art Gallery of NSW for anyone in town now: Pissaro and Grace Cossington-Smith. Wednesday nights are "Art after hours", the gallery is open 'till 9.00pm. Guest speakers, music,films, exhibitions and the restaurant & cafe are open - wonderful views to the Harbour. And the pinot gris was passable, too