Reload this Page >

We are going to Perth.. Help Please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:01 PM
aussie

Hi everyone, I have been inspired to go to Perth (with the help of Virgin $99. one way fare from Melbourne.)<BR>We will be dept. 5th. March &amp; coming home 17th. March.<BR>We have never been to W.A.<BR>I think for the short time we are in Perth maybe we should hire a car &amp; head south ?<BR>All help would be appreciated.<BR>Thanks

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Harlie

Yep would definitely advise to hire a car, public transport is not well developed especially to areas such as the main beaches etc. Margaret River is approx 3 hours away and definitely worth a visit, also include Rottnest Island in your itinerary.<BR><BR>Cheers

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Bill

<BR>There is a company called Aussie Perth Tours that has horse racing tours to Ascont and Belmont Park.<BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:21 AM
aussie

Thanks Harlie &amp; Bill,<BR>Rottnest &amp; Margaret River are on the agenda plus we thought a visit to New Norcia would be interesting.<BR>Sorry Bill the races don't interest us.<BR>I have read about the free Cat. buses around the city &amp; to the beach area's. Is it worth using these for a couple of days before we go down south.<BR>Anyother ideas Please

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Prue

aussie,<BR>There was a good post a month or so ago with lots of ideas as to what to do in Perth - if you do a search I am sure you would find it.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:30 PM
bill simpson

I was in Perth for 5 days last March &amp; it was great. You must visit Rottenest Island. You can rent bikes &amp; ride around the island. To get there from Perth you can take a boat from the Barrack Street Jetty, however we took the train from Perth to Femantle. The train was much faster &amp; you will not be confused in the terminal. The transit system in all the places I was at in Australia was very easy to use. Of course you are Aussie, so why am I telling you this - you already know. Fremantle is a must to visit. It has a lot of history in that very small attractive town. Walking is the way to go, not only in Fremantle but Perth. We walked to Kings Park (in Perth)in which is located the botanical gardens, and a very large &amp; beautiful memorial to their veterans. At the summit it overlooks the city with an absolutely stunning view. The pedestrian only shopping areas in Perth are wonderful. We happened onto an outside coffee shop (I can't remember the name of the pedestrian only street) but the coffee shop named Bocelli was right across from the main post office. We ended up there each morning for some of the best coffee &amp; scones we had in Australia as we soaked up the sun on the outdoor deck. Also while in Fremantle have a beer at the Sail &amp; Anchor Pub Brewery (they brew a variety of beers - all good)from the balcony. Check out the Perth Mint. It was very interesting. You can see them pouring gold to make the coins. If you are looking for opals &amp; don't trust the jewelry stores the Perth Mint is the place to get them. The folks there are very accommodating. I am rambling back &amp; forth but I would go on &amp; on. We didn't get outside of city except for Fremantle &amp; Rottenest Island but I understand there is a lot to see outside of the urban area for which will require a rental vehicle. Everyplace we went in Australia we always needed more time - so very much to see.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Aussie

Thanks Prue for the topper. Great info.<BR>Thanks also to Bill Simpson for a good insite, anything on Accomadation ?

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 03:30 PM
marg

For something really different, do a day trip to New Norcia - old Benedictine monastry, schools, churches, etc. They do tours twice a day - about 11 am and 2 pm, from memory, but check the times as you really need to do the tour to appreciate the place.<BR>If you are into cars, another good day trip would be to the car museum at York.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 07:40 PM
steve rob

WE spent New Years at Walpole and Nornalup about 5 hours drive south. Lovely forests and great beaches in the national park. Head east about 50 kms to William Bay NP for even better beaches. Denmark is lovely. We saw heaps in just 3 days, so you can too.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:15 AM
sue

Hi re accomodation: if you want to stay<BR>near the beach look up scarborough beach or sorrento quay at hillarys plenty of holiday accom, self contained units, backpackers places around perth &amp; freo, a few good b&amp;b's around freo, plenty of motels near airport like flag, bel ayre motel,try doing a search on perth, you should be able to find alot.<BR>Definately do rotto &amp; down south, Busselton, Margaret River etc if you can it is well worth it specially at that time of year. Sue