Wanaka's Roy's Peak Track

Nov 21st, 2019, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Wanaka's Roy's Peak Track

Some info for folks who are intending on walking this popular track.
https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/wanaka...tagrammed-spot

"French tourists Melanie Blairvacq and Florian Maimi said they had arrived at the car park at 3am in the hope of 'being alone'' on the hike but they found 40 others on the summit at sunrise."
Nov 22nd, 2019, 06:33 AM

Sounds like it is going the same way as Angkor Wat. The first time we visited at dawn in the late 90s there were five of us. When we returned in 2007 at te same time, there were closer to 1000. Gave up trying to take photos of the temples and took photos of our fellow tourists instead!

One of the reason we always visit NZ in winter is the lack of crowds.
Nov 22nd, 2019, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

I think you got lucky with Angkor Wat, Crellston. Maybe because you tend to travel in the off season. We went there in 1999 and it was already crowded. Even when we ventured to one of the farther-out temples, Banteay Srei--so far out our driver was scared to go there (he'd not been there before and feared we'd run into bandits)--there were loads of people, mostly Cambodian families. They were sitting around, enjoying meals, even though the surrounding fields had not yet been totally de-mined.

Pagan, Burma, was a different story for us, few people, more like what you encountered during your first trip to Angkor. We also visited in the late 90s.

When I first visited Iguazu Falls in 1980, it was similar to what you experienced at Angkor Wat, hardly anyone there, quiet and serene. When I traveled there with my husband in 2008 it was packed! So many people, including many many tour groups, on both the Argentine and Brazilian sides of the falls. On the other hand, the falls were more accessible, more paths had been opened up.

I don't know if there's ever a quiet time for Roy's Peak. Maybe in winter, but for this time of year DOC suggests ice axes and crampons. Then from October to early November it closes for lambing season.
Nov 24th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

A fee for parking at Roy's Peak track has now been proposed and shuttles might be introduced:
https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/wanaka...-peak-proposed